Filing for Mayor and Council Member
The next Municipal Election Day is Tuesday, November 7, 2023. The Mayor and two City Council seats will be up for election in 2023.
Candidate Filing Period
The candidate filing period runs from August 1 to August 15, 2023.
How to File
File in-person at City Hall Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. There will be extended hours until 5 p.m. on Tuesday, August 15. Candidates have until Thursday, August 17 at 5 p.m. to withdraw.
The fee to file is $25.
At the time of filing, Candidates must affirm:
- They are eligible to vote in Minnesota;
- They have not filed for the same or any other office at the upcoming primary or general election (except as provided in M.S. 204B.06, subd. 1 (2) );
- They will be 21 years of age or more when assuming office;
- They will have maintained residence in the City for at least 30 days before the general election.
Candidate Packet and Financial Reports
The Candidate Filing Information Packet (PDF) provides general information on running for Hopkins City Council. Candidates should seek their own legal counsel to ensure their efforts comply with the law.
State law require candidates to file several financial reports. Visit the Candidate Financial Reports page for more information.
State law does not allow local governments to post links or bios of candidates running for office. Voters can find out more about candidates through the following resources:
- Search candidate filings on the Secretary of State website
- The League of Women Voters Candidate Forum will be held at City Hall on Wednesday, October 4, from 6 to 9 p.m.
- The Sun Sailor typically runs information on local candidates.