Filing for Mayor and Council Member
Election Day is Tuesday, November 2. The Mayor and two City Council seats will be up for election in 2021.
Candidate Filing Period
The candidate filing period runs from July 27 to August 10.
How to File
File in-person at City Hall Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. There will be extended hours until 5 p.m. on Tuesday, August 10.
The fee to file is $25.
At the time of filing, Candidates must affirm:
- They are eligible to vote in Minnesota;
- They have not filed for the same or any other office at the upcoming primary or general election (except as provided in M.S. 204B.06, subd. 1 (2) );
- They will be 21 years of age or more when assuming office;
- They will have maintained residence in the City for at least 30 days before the general election.
The following candidates have filed for mayor and council member in the 2021 election:
- Jason Gadd
- Patrick Hanlon
- Samuel O Stiele
- City Council (two seats)
- Gerard Balan
- Heidi Garrido
- Ben Goodlund
- Kristi Halverson
We understand that voters are interested in learning more about the candidates that appear on their ballot. In an effort to remain neutral, the City does not advertise for or provide background information on candidates or political platforms. Candidates appearing on the ballot may have their own websites dedicated to their campaign.
Voters can use the following resources to search for additional information on candidates:
- Search candidate filings on the Minnesota Secretary of State’s website
- The Sun Sailor typically runs information on local candidates. The timing and contents of this article is not under the City’s control. For more information, contact the Sun Sailor directly.
- The League of Women Voters held a City Council Candidate Forum on September 20. A recording of the forum is available to view online.