Examples of Nuisances


Dogs running loose should be reported to the Police Department at 952-938-8885.

Barking dogs can be a problem. Under Hopkins City Code 925.39, "any dog which shall, by any noise, unreasonably disturb the peace and quiet of any person in the vicinity..." would be considered a nuisance dog. This includes dogs that bark or whine repeatedly over a five-minute period of time. Complaints about barking dogs should be directed to the Police Department at 952-938-8885. View Hopkins City Code 925.39 (PDF).


The City of Hopkins requires that graffiti be removed or painted over as soon as possible. Report graffiti or learn more about cleaning it up by visiting the Graffiti Removal Page.


View Noise Ordinance Page.

Property Maintenance

The City of Hopkins investigates complaints of situations that may involve a violation of City ordinances (i.e. exterior storage, junk vehicles, weeds). View the Property Maintenance Complaint Page.

Nuisance & Hazard Trees

A hazardous tree is a danger to you or to a neighbor. The U.S Forest Services says that a tree is a hazard if there are structural defects in the roots, stem, and branches that may cause the tree or tree part to fail, where such failure may cause property damage or personal injury. Said simply, a tree with structural problems is only a hazard if it has the potential to strike a “target.”

Call Public Works

If a tree interferes with the free use and enjoyment of your own property, then the tree has become a nuisance. If the problem tree is on public property contact the Public Works Department at 952-939-1382 or fill out a Customer Service Request Form.

Private Property

If the problem tree is on private property then it is an issue between you and your neighbor. Talk to your neighbor and explain what you can see from your property. Their sightline view may not be the same, or it might be in a part of their yard they do not use frequently. Ask your neighbor to mitigate the risk the tree poses to your property. 

Take a photo of the tree and write your observations in a letter to your neighbor, and keep a copy for yourself. Consider having a certified arborist look at the tree to evaluate the risk. If a conflict arises, consider using a mediation service like Community Mediation and Restorative Services, Inc. View the Community Mediation and Restorative Services, Inc. Website.

Learn More

To learn more about trees and the law, read about Minnesota Trees and the Law from the University of Minnesota.