- City Budget
- City Budget Process
City Budget Process
Participate in the Budget Process
Approving the City’s Annual Budget is one of the most important decisions made by City Council. The 2023 budget will be based on staff recommendations and input received from the community.
The public is invited to attend any or all City Council meetings where the budget is discussed. The City will also provide additional engagement opportunities for residents who wish to participate in the budget process.
The following is a tentative schedule for discussions on important aspects of the City’s Budget.
January - April 2022
Goal Setting and American Rescue Plan Act
- January 7: City Council and Staff Goal Setting Event (PDF)
- January 11: American Rescue Plan Act Overview (PDF)
- February 15: American Rescue Plan Act Discussion (PDF)
- March 8: American Rescue Plan Act Draft Spending Plan (PDF)
- April 5: Authorize American Rescue Plan Act Spending Plan (PDF)
Watch City Council meetings live or on-demand
April 26 and April 28 2022
Open Book meetings
Hennepin County Assessor's office will host virtual meeting sessions for the purpose of discussing property valuations that will be used for 2023 taxes. Valuation notices will include an insert providing additional information. Taxpayers may also call the assessor at any time to review valuation.
April - July 2022
- 2021 Audit
- Departments prepare Operating, Equipment (ERP) and Capital (CIP) Budgets
July 12, 2022
Review First Draft 2022 Tax Levy and General Fund Budgets
August 8, 2022
Review Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) and Equipment Replacement Plan (ERP)
August 15, 2022
Budget Engagement Review of 2023 Budget
The City hosted a budget engagement session on August 15 at City Hall.
September 6, 2022
Approve Preliminary Tax Levy and General Fund Budget
Approve Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) and Equipment Replacement Plan (ERP)
October 11, 2022
Review Special Revenue Fund Budgets, Enterprise Fund Budgets, Activity Center Budget and Utility Rates
|Activity Center||Arts Center|
November 1, 2022
Approve Utility Rates
November 30, 2022
December 6, 2022
Approve Final Budget and Tax Levy
Questions or comments?
Please use this form to submit any general comments or questions about the budget process.
- Please explain in detail why the city has $83.5 million in debt?
- Please explain how the city will pay off outstanding debt? Will the City’s debt continue to rise?
- How will Hopkins utilize the funding received from American Rescue Plan Act?
- Where is the 5 percent increase in tax capacity expected to come from?
- The city seemed to function fine after the budget was reduced in during 2020/2021. Provided we are still in a pandemic, why have the cuts been restored?