The first settlers of Hopkins arrived in 1852, but the roots of the town begin in 1887 with the building of the Minneapolis Threshing Machine Company, later called Minneapolis Moline. Minneapolis Moline once employed most of the Hopkins residents. The West Minneapolis Land Company was also founded in 1887, to build housing for the Minneapolis Moline factory workers.
The Village of West Minneapolis
In 1893, 41 residents submitted a petition to the Hennepin County Board of Commissioners, asking that the village be formed. Following an election, the community was then incorporated as the village of West Minneapolis.
The original village was comprised of three square miles. It has been enlarged by annexation to its present size of about four square miles. The population at the time of its incorporation was 1,105.
Village Named Hopkins, Later Becomes a City
In 1928, the name of the village was changed to Hopkins for Harley H. Hopkins, one of the first homesteaders and the community's first postmaster. The first mayor was Harley Hopkins' son, Chester L. Hopkins.
The Village of Hopkins adopted its City charter on December 2, 1947, effectively becoming the City of Hopkins.
- 1852 - First settler arrives
- 1862 - First school, Burnes, is built
- 1887 - Minneapolis Threshing Machine Company is built
- 1893 - 1168 people incorporate the Village of West Minneapolis (November 27)
- First Council elected (December 9)
- 1899 - First streetcar arrives in Hopkins
- 1928 - Village name changes to Hopkins (July 7)
- 1929 - Minneapolis Threshing Machine Company becomes Minneapolis Moline
- 1934 - Hopkins business people organize the first Raspberry Festival
- 1947 - Hopkins becomes a city through the adoption of a city charter (December 2)
The city of Hopkins, located three miles from Minneapolis, is about four square miles in size and is surrounded by the larger, west suburban communities of Minnetonka, St. Louis Park, and Edina. According to the 2010 Census, the city's population is 17,591 people. See detailed demographics on the Hopkins Demographics page.
Hopkins is about 98% developed with little remaining vacant land. It has been in a redevelopment mode for a number of years, and that will continue as City leaders look for ways to maintain, preserve and improve this historic community.
Own a Piece of Hopkins History
The City of Hopkins is excited to announce the sale of a limited number of prints of an historical Hopkins painting. The "Cultivation of Raspberries," part of a mural painted in 1936 by David Granahan, once graced the walls of the Hopkins Post Office. Purchase from the City's online store.