Bulk Item Disposal
For residential refuse customers
Bulk item pickup
The City of Hopkins offers its residential refuse customers a bulk item pickup service on Thursdays. Bulk items include furniture, sofas, stuffed chairs, mattresses, box springs, carpet rolls (3 ft long; 1 ft diameter), and appliances.
To schedule a bulk item pickup, call Public Works at 952-939-1382 before 2 pm on Wednesday.
Bulk item pickup charges:
- $25 plus State and County Solid Waste management fees for each item collected
- $25 plus State and County Solid Waste management fees for each ¾ cubic yard of loose volume material
State Solid Waste management fee is 9% of total charge(s).
County Solid Waste management fee is 9.75% of total charge(s).
- Place all items at your regular refuse collection location and keep all items at least 4 ft away from the refuse container
- Materials must fit into a rear load refuse truck or on a one-ton truck and must be transportable by two people.
- Bagged or boxed items must weigh 35 lbs or less and fit in the bag or box.
- The maximum item size accepted is 4 ft x 6 ft.
Items Not Accepted
Please refer to Hennepin County's How-to-Get-Rid-of-It Guide for options on how to dispose of and recycle these items.
- Major construction demolition materials are not accepted unless materials are within the 3 cubic yard maximum guideline
- Concrete weighing over 35 lbs
- Car batteries
- Fluorescent bulbs
- Metal barrels or drums
- Car parts
- Gas refrigerators
- Hazardous waste
- Paint products
- Waste oil
- Junk cars
- Railroad ties
- Computers and accessories
- Food Waste
Bulk Item Drop-Off
Twice a year, the City offers a refuse bulk item drop off service for Hopkins refuse customers in the City service area. A valid Minnesota ID or current paid utility bill must be shown to prove eligibility.
The 2016 spring bulk drop-off event for Hopkins residential refuse customers will be held on Friday, April 29, 3-7 pm and Saturday, April 30, 9 am-4 pm.
Location: Public Works building at 11100 Excelsior Blvd. (Enter off of Excelsior Blvd.)
A $15 per vehicle fee applies for this service. This user fee covers one appliance. Any additional appliances are $20 each.
- Each eligible residence is allowed to dispose of a maximum of 3 cubic yards of material, the equivalent of one pick-up truck load.
- $20 fee for each appliance (fee reflected on utility bill—first one free)
- Residents must separate materials into the proper areas at the site
- Small engines and lawn mowers must have fluids removed, as well as caps, drain plugs, and wheels, prior to taking them to the drop-off site (some of these items may be accepted at the Hennepin County Transfer Station—call 612-348-3777 for more information)
- Electronics and concrete products (without iron) are accepted
- New in 2016: Shred It!
Drop off your shredding at the bulk item drop off. Locked and secure carts will be on-site courtesy of Shred-It for residents to deposit their documents for confidential destruction. Space is limited.
Items not accepted:
- Fluorescent Bulbs
- Car Parts
- Car Batteries
- Metal Barrels or Drums
- Junk Cars
- Waste Oil
- Gas Refrigerators
- Concrete with Iron in it
- Hazardous Waste
- Creosote Treated Lumber
- Paint Products
Please refer to your Recyclopedia for options on discarding or recycling these items. Hazardous wastes must be taken to the Hennepin County Transfer Station. Call Hennepin County for more information at 612-348-3777.