Sewer Backups

toiletIf you have reason to believe that there is a problem with your sewer service, the City should be notified immediately. Call 952-939-1382 on weekdays between 7:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. On weekends, holidays, and after hours, call the Police Department at 952-258-5321 and they will contact on-call Public Works personnel. The City will dispatch a Public Works employee to investigate the sewer main line for problems and take action if appropriate.

If the problem lies in the sanitary sewer service from the home to the sewer main in the street, including the "Y" or "T" connection, it is the responsibility of the property owner to resolve.

Preventing Sewer Backups

sewer back-up mass of wipes

Have your sewer line cleaned periodically to avoid sewer backups. Also, avoid putting any of these items down the drain:

  • Fat, oils and grease
  • Paper products
  • Flushable wipes (even if the packaging says so, these items are NOT flushable)
  • Lint and hair

The only items that should be flushed are bodily wastes and toilet paper. All other items should be placed in your garbage cart.

In addition, do not plant trees or bushes over your sewer line. Roots seeking water can break into the pipes over time and cause blockages.

If a backup occurs:

Contact the City of Hopkins immediately

Public Works personnel will respond 24 hours a day to make sure the backup is not being caused by a City oversight. Call 952-939-1382 between 7:30 am and 4 pm Monday-Friday; weekends, holidays, and after hours call the Police Department at 952-258-5321 and they will contact on-call Public Works personnel.

Clear the blockage

To find a company that will locate and clear your sewer blockage, look in the Yellow Pages under “Sewer Cleaning.”

Notify your insurance company

Notify your insurance company as soon as possible so an adjuster can examine any damages. Many property owner insurance policies exclude damage resulting from sewer backups, but some will cover part or all of the costs associated with damage caused by a sewer backup.

Remember: The City is only liable for resulting damages from a sewer back up if it was caused by the City's negligence. The property owner is responsible for the maintenance of the sewer from and including the connection to the main in the road into the house.


  • Public Works Secretary

  • To report a backup on weekends, holidays or after hours, call the Police Dispatch at 952-258-5321



City of Hopkins logo (H with raspberry)City of Hopkins, Minnesota

Inspire. Educate. Involve. Communicate.