Plumbing Permits

water tapRequired for plumbing inside the building (adding a water fixture such as a sink, tub, or toilet) and outside (establishing new connections to the City's sewer and water system).

For work being done INSIDE the building:

The owner/occupant of an existing single-family dwelling or a bonded contractor can apply for the permit.

For work being done OUTSIDE the building:

Residents: If work being done on utilities for your property will be causing damage to the street, there is a cap to the amount you will have to pay for street repairs. The cap amount is $1,250. (See Legislative Policy 8H)

How much will the permit cost?

Calculate using the plumbing fee calculator.

How do I schedule an inspection?

The contractor must schedule the inspection. Call the Inspections Department at 952-548-6320 (8:00 am–4:30 pm) or use the online request form. Schedule your inspection at least 24 hours in advance. When calling for an inspection you will be asked to provide the address, permit number and type of inspection you are requesting. Inspections are done 9–11 am and 1–4 pm and are scheduled every half hour.



  • Administrative Assistant

    Fax: 952-935-1834


The City requires a hard copy of the Master Plumbers License or the Minnesota Department of Labor & Industry Bond & Insurance Certificate for the contractor pulling the permit. Check with City to see if one is already on file.

City of Hopkins logo (H with raspberry)City of Hopkins, Minnesota

Inspire. Educate. Involve. Communicate.