Contractor's License

Anyone applying for a building, plumbing or mechanical permit from the City of Hopkins must be licensed (City Code Section 440). The only exception is for building owners getting permits for their own property.

If a contractor has a State license, such as a plumber or residential homebuilder, remodeler or roofer, a City license is not required when the contractor is doing work authorized by their State license. State-licensed contractors are required to provide a copy of their State license.

License fee

You can choose to get an annual license, which covers unlimited projects, or a license for one particular project.

  • Annual: $80 (expire December 31 of each year)
  • Per Project: $15

Getting your license

Fill out the Contractor's License Application and provide proof of the following:

  • Workers compensation insurance owned and maintained by the licensee (For mechanical permits only: if you have a State Bond, insurance information is not required.)
  • Proof by proper certificate or insurance contract that the contractor maintains public liability insurance in the amount of not less than $100,000 per person and $300,000 per accident for bodily injury and $5,000 for any property damage liability. (For mechanical permits only: if you have a State Bond, insurance information is not required.)
  • Mechanical Contractors only: A statement of experience and ability in mechanical work including references. Evidence of qualifications may include a similar license issued by a City, County, or agency of the State of Minnesota.

Submitting your application

City licenses are issued over the counter with a completed application, the information requested above and the appropriate fee. There are no waiting periods.

Applications can also be submitted by fax at 952-935-1834 or by mail. They can then be paid for at the time of permit issuance.


  • Administrative Assistant


City of Hopkins logo (H with raspberry)City of Hopkins, Minnesota

Inspire. Educate. Involve. Communicate.