Leaf & Yard Waste Pick Up
For residential refuse customers
Yard waste is defined as leaves with twig stems no longer than 4 inches, grass clippings, green pliable vines, and similar garden waste.
Yard waste pick up guidelines
- Yard waste is collected on Thursdays. Residents must call Public Works at 952-939-1382 to request yard waste bag pickup by 2 p.m. on Wednesdays.
- Every bag to be picked up must have a yard waste sticker affixed to it, facing the street or alley so it's visible to drivers.
- Stickers are $3 each and may be purchased in person at City Hall or the Public Works building. To have stickers sent to you in the mail (minimum of 10) you can call 952-939-1382 and the cost will be placed on your utility bill.
- Yard waste must be bagged. Maximum size bag is 55-gallon, weighing no more than 40 lbs. Yard Waste must be bagged in a compostable bag—either paper bags or compostable plastic bags.
- Place yard waste at the normal refuse collection site at least four feet away from your refuse & recycling containers.
- Items NOT accepted include: animal feces (please clean up after pets before raking your lawn), branches, woody vines, long twigs, stump grindings, sod waste and shrub clippings.
- NO garden products such as melons, pumpkins, squash, potatoes, apples, and tomatoes, should be placed in yard waste bags. Place unused garden products such as these into your regular garbage container.
Drop off site
Hopkins refuse customers can also drop off their brush and yard waste for free at the drop off site, open mid-spring through November.
Did you know?
The easiest and best way to handle grass clippings is to leave them on the lawn. Set your mower to a height of two to three inches. Mow frequently enough so that no more than one-third of the grass blade is removed at any mowing. This may mean that you will mow more frequently, but you will spend less time doing it. Not only will you save time mowing and bagging and save money by not buying yard waste bags and having them picked up, you will also have healthier grass.