Summer Property Maintenance Tips
This is the season to tackle big exterior projects such as painting, carpentry or cement repair.
- Change filter once a month, lubricate motors.
Lawn & Landscape
- Move the lawn mower blade height up so that it cuts no more than the top one-third of the grass blade. Your lawn will be healthier, and you'll have fewer weeds if grass isn't mown shorter than 2 to 2 1/2 inches.
- Take inventory of your yard. Are there areas of grass that never do well? Consider replacing that grass with shrubs, perennials or ground covers. Take photos now for winter planning.
- If it doesn't rain, water lawn deeply once a week. (Deep watering is better than frequent, shallow watering.)
Painting & Carpentry
- Take care of exterior projects: seal decks, paint siding and trim, etc.
- Repair fences and stair railings.
Time to remodel?
If you're thinking about adding on or remodeling this summer, visit the Building & Remodeling section for important information about permits and inspections.