Fall is the time to get your furnace ready to fire up for the winter months. Have you had your system serviced yet this year? Also, check for these things in the fall:
- Clear any clutter away from heating and cooling equipment.
- Clean or change furnace filters every month or as recommended by the manufacturer.
- For forced air systems: check fan belt tension, and lubricate fan and motor bearings.
- For steam systems: check shut-off valve for leaks and drain low water cut-off per manufacturer's instructions.
- For hot water systems: top off water, bleed radiators and bring up to recommended pressure.
- Check boiler pressure relief valve. Check pressure and temperature relief valve on water heater.
Test your carbon monoxide detector and be sure to change your smoke detector battery when you set back the clock!