To register at the polling place on Election Day, you must have authorized proof of residence:
- Option 1: ID with Current Name and Address
- Valid Minnesota driver's license, Minnesota learner's permit, Minnesota ID card—or a receipt of any of the above
- Tribal ID card with your name, address, photo and signature
- Option 2: Photo ID Plus a Document with Current Name and Address
The ID can be expired, and the document can also be shown electronically on a device (smartphone, etc.)
Accepted photo IDs:
- Driver's license, state ID card or learner's permit issued by any state
- United States passport
- United States Military ID card
- Tribal ID card with the name, signature and photo of the voter
- Minnesota university, college or technical college ID card
- Minnesota high school ID card
- Residential lease or rental agreement (must be valid through Election Day)
- Current student fee statement
- Bill, account or start of service statement due or dated within 30 days of election for:
- Phone (landline, cell, VOIP, etc.)
- TV (cable, satellite, etc.)
- Internet services
- Solid waste or sewer services
- Electric, gas or water
- Banking or credit card
- Rent or mortgage payments
- Option 3: Registered Voter Who Can Confirm Your Name and Address
A registered voter from your precinct can go with you to the polling place to sign an oath confirming your address. A registered voter can vouch for up to eight others.
- Option 4: College Student ID—If a Student Housing List Was Provided
College students can use a student photo ID card if their college provided a student housing list to election officials.
- Option 5: Valid Registration in the Same Precinct
If you were previously registered in the precinct but changed names or moved within the same precinct, you only need to tell the elections official your previous name or address — no additional documentation is needed.
- Option 6: Notice of Late Registration
If you pre-registered to vote too close to Election Day, you may have received a Notice of Late Registration in the mail. This notice can be used to register.