Most Common Repair Orders: Apartments
Safety & Fire Prevention
- Replace or relocate missing, inoperable or improperly located smoke detectors. 10 Points. (Read more about smoke detectors within individual rental units.)
- Replace or relocate missing, inoperable or improperly located carbon monoxide detectors. 10 Points.
- Remove items from hallway so that there is clear exit path to all doors and windows. 6 points.
- Repair doors and/or locks to function properly. 3 points.
- Replace dead batteries in exit sign back-up light. 6 points.
- Maintain fire separation. 4 points.
- Make sure fire-rated doors self-close and latch. 3 points.
- Remove excessive combustible materials from building and/or store properly. 6 points.
- Repair interior surfaces to be free from defects. 4 points.
- Tighten handrails and guardrails (interior and exterior). 3 points.
- Repair stairs and walking surfaces to be free from defects. 6 points.
- Make sure doors are maintained in good condition and function properly. 3 points.
- Repair insect screens to good condition & provide for all openings required for ventilation between May 1 and October 1. 1 point.
Plumbing & Mechanical
- Supply sufficient heat at a minimum of 68ºF during the period of October 1 to May 1. 6 points.
- Mechanical equipment/appliances:
- Properly connect fuel-burning equipment/appliances to an approved chimney or vent. 10 points.
- Maintain effective safety controls. 10 points.
- Maintain clearances. 6 points.
- Provide combustion air. 10 points.
- Properly label approved fuel-saving devices. 6 points.
- Maintain duct systems free of obstructions. 3 points.
- Replace plastic dryer vents and flexible dryer vents over 6 feet in length with approved dryer vents. Clean dryer lint traps. Replace missing dryer vent flaps on back-draft damper. 6 points.
- Properly vent clothes dryers to the exterior of the building, independent of all other systems. 4 points.
- Remove hose and threads on faucet/spigot (laundry tubs, showers with hoses, hose bibs, etc.) or install an anti-siphon (backflow preventer device) to avoid water contamination.6 points.
- Maintain plumbing system and fixtures to a safe, sanitary, and functional condition, free from leaks. 5 points each.
- Keep water system free from hazards. 10 points.
- Supply an adequate amount of water shall be supplied. 10 points.
- Make sure water heats to a minimum of 120ºF at all fixtures. 6 points.
- Properly vent all bathrooms and toilet rooms with an open-able window or mechanical ventilation fan properly vented to the exterior. 3 points.
- Maintain sanitary drainage system to be free from obstructions, leaks and defects. 5 points.
- Owners: Maintain clean and sanitary common areas. Maintain structure and equipment in good repair, structurally sound and in a sanitary condition. 10 points.
- Tenants: Maintain a clean and sanitary dwelling unit. 10 points.
- Maintain structures and dwelling units free from insects and rodents. 6 points.
- Properly install and maintain all electrical equipment, wiring, and appliances in a safe and approved manner. 4 points.
- Make sure every habitable space in a dwelling contains at least two separate and removed receptacle outlets; every laundry area must contain at least one grounded-type receptacle or a receptacle with a ground fault circuit interrupter (gfci); every bathroom must contain at least one receptacle with any new bathroom receptacle outlets having ground fault circuit interrupter protection. 4 points.
- Fix electrical hazards: Don't use extension cords in lieu of permanent wiring; make sure that all outlets and switches have cover plates on them; replace missing knockouts and missing filler plates on the electrical panel. 4 points.
- Provide lighting in every public hall, interior stairway, toilet room, kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, boiler room, and furnace room. 4 points.
- Maintain exterior property and premises in a clean, safe, and sanitary condition. 2 points.
- Maintain all structures and exterior property free from rodent harborage and infestations. 4 points.
- Remove any refuse, litter, and garbage from the property that is not inside an approved waste receptacle. 6 points.
- Keep walls free from holes, breaks, loose or rotting materials and maintained weatherproof and properly coated to prevent deterioration. 6 points.
- Apply required protective treatment on exterior wood surfaces, siding and masonry joints, and metal surfaces. 3 points.
- Keep sidewalks and driveways in a proper state of repair and free from hazardous conditions. 2 points.
- Windows, skylights and door frames:
- Keep in sound condition, good repair and weather tight. 4 points.
- Make sure openable windows are easily opened and capable of being held in position by window hardware. 3 points.
- Maintain all glazing free from cracks and holes. 3 points.
- Remove junk vehicles or store inside an enclosed building, or obtain current tabs and ensure that they are operable.
- View graffiti removal tips »
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
The 2006 Minnesota Legislature passed a carbon monoxide law that is now fully in effect, requiring CO alarms in all single family homes and multifamily apartment units (MN State Statue 299F.50).
All CO alarms must be certified by nationally recognized testing laboratories that conform to the latest Underwriters Laboratories Standards (UL2034). CO alarms must be located within 10 feet of each sleeping room. For more information or if you have questions, contact the State Fire Marshal Division at 651-201-7200 or visit their website at www.fire.state.mn.us.