Zoning & Planning Commission Minutes
March 8, 2005
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Zoning and Planning Commission was held on Tuesday, March 8, 2005, at 6:30 pm in the Council Chambers of Hopkins City Hall.
Present were Commission Members Peter Sholtz, Kristi Halverson, Michael Kjos, Virgil Aarness, Mary Hatcher and Jeffrey Paul. Jannina Aristy was absent. Also present was City Planner Nancy Anderson.
- Call To Order
Ms. Hatcher called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm.
- Supervalu Addition — Case No. SPR05-1
Supervalu Variance — Case No. VN05-1
Ms. Anderson reviewed the proposed addition to Supervalu. Bob King, representing Supervalu, appeared before the Commission. Mr. King reviewed the site plan and the following:
The public hearing was opened at 7:30 pm. The following residents appeared before the Commission and spoke in opposition to the height variance:
- Elevation difference between 35' and 45' addition
- Supervalu is willing to reconstruct the fence
- Larger trees
- Painting of the addition
- Additions to the north, west and east
- Plantings in Buffer Park
Sandy Lien read letters from the following residents:
- Kathy Understad, 408 Seventh Street South
- Bob Mader, 308 Seventh Street South
- Robert Buys, 605 West Park Valley Drive
- James Vescera, 601 West Park Valley Drive
- Ruby Olson, 625 Fifth Avenue South
- Steve Olsen, 215 Maple Hill Road
- Michael Reinitz, 533 Fifth Avenue South
- Mark Panger, 600 Fifth Avenue South
- Roger Peterson, 513 Fifth Avenue South
- Eliza Van Luyk, 618 East Park Valley Drive
- Pam Tanaka, 606 East Park Valley Drive
- Craig Hinrichs, 621 East Park Valley Drive
- Helen Lovingfoss, 538 East Park Valley Drive
Mr. Aarness moved to deny the site plan review and Mr. Paul seconded the motion. There was discussion regarding the findings of fact to deny the site plan review. Mr. Aarness and Mr. Paul withdrew their motion.
- Lucy Lund, 614 West Park Valley Drive
- Steven Berquist, 509 East Park Valley Drive
Mr. Aarness moved and Mr. Paul seconded a motion to approve Resolution RZ05-2, recommending approval of a site plan to construct a 120,000 square foot addition to the existing building at 300 Second Avenue South. The motion was approved on a 5-1 vote, Mr. Kjos voting nay. Mr. Aarness moved and Mr. Paul seconded a motion to approve Resolution RZ05-3, recommending denial of a height variance of 12.5 feet for the 120,000 square-foot addition to the existing building at 300 Second Avenue South. The motion was approved unanimously.
Mr. Aarness moved and Mr. Kjos seconded a motion to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved unanimously. The meeting was adjourned at 8:55 pm.