Park Board Minutes
January 28, 2013
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on January 28, 2013.
I. CALL TO ORDER
Chair Hatlestad called the meeting to order at 6:35 pm.
II. ROLL CALL
Present were Park Board members: Bob Hatlestad, Norman Teigen, Abbey Bryduck, Caroline Rinker and Tom Jenny. Also present was staff liaison Steve Stadler.
III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES FOR NOVEMBER 19, 2012.
- A motion was made by Norman Teigen, seconded by Tom Jenny to approve the December 13 minutes. The motion passed with a 4-0 vote. (Caroline Rinker arrived at 6:45 pm, just after this vote)
- Park System Capital Improvement Funding
The Park Board reviewed and discussed the revised park facilities chart and proposed PowerPoint slides in preparation for the January 29 City Council Worksession. Tom Jenny volunteered to lead the presentation with other members commenting. Minor revisions were made to the PowerPoint slides – Stadler will make the changes and email them to the members.
- Oakes Park discussion items
The Board reviewed the proposed postcard notice for the planned removal of the hockey boards from the park and the Oakes Park lift station surveymonkey results on the architectural theme of the building. The architect will now put together a more-refined schematic blending the features of concepts “B” and “C”, accounting for building openings, etc. for review/approval. Stadler mentioned that the Oakes Park play equipment was up for replacement in 2013. He will bring more information to the next meeting.
- Miscellaneous Updates
- Southwest Transitway Project
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project – work is underway to fill the channel just south of the Nine Mile Cove neighborhood, remaining work includes tree planting in the spring and restoration of the archery range area.
- St Joseph Catholic Church addition – concept plan is on hold.
- Burnes Park Rotary Club picnic shelter project – Stadler reviewed his meeting with John Anderson and presented detailed construction plans. The work is scheduled to start in late March, weather permitting, with demolition of the existing shelter and construction completed by June 1. It was noticed that the plan sheets have the park name misspelled.
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Hilltop Park
- Shady Oak Beach--No changing table in women’s restroom, and concern for hot play area safety surfacing.
- Shady Oak Nature Area
- Minnehaha Creek Preserve-- A sign is needed indicating the canoe launch area.
- Cottageville Park
- Oakes Park
- Maetzold Field-- HALL is excited for the new ball field.
- Hiawatha Oaks
- Interlachen Park
- Burnes Park
- Harley Hopkins Park– Caroline thanked Tom Jenny for attending the 8th Avenue Artery workshop.
Tom Jenny (Nothing to Report):
- Buffer Park
- Park Valley Playground
- Valley Park--Drinkingfountain vandalized + inadequate lighting level in the warming house.
- Downtown Park
- Elmo Park
- Central Park
V. NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS:
The next regular Park Board Meeting is February 25, 2013 at 6:30 pm.
Caroline Rinker made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Bob Hatlestad. The motion passed 5-0. The meeting adjourned at 7:55 p.m.