Park Board Minutes
December 13, 2012
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on December 13, 2012.
I. CALL TO ORDER
Chair Hatlestad called the meeting to order at 6:40 pm.
II. ROLL CALL
Present were Park Board members: Bob Hatlestad, Norman Teigen, Caroline Rinker and Tom Jenny. Absent was Abbey Bryduck. Also present was staff liaison Steve Stadler.
III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES FOR SEPTEMBER 17, 2012.
- A motion was made by Caroline Rinker, seconded by Tom Jenny to approve the November 19 minutes. The motion passed with a 4-0 vote.
- Park System Capital Improvement Funding
The Park Board reviewed and discussed the revised park facilities chart and proposed PowerPoint slides in preparation for the January 29 City Council Worksession. Stadler mentioned a need for a system-wide park master plan effort to address park needs, funding and phasing. The Board agreed and Caroline Rinker mentioned that a park system master plan could possibly be developed with help from the Humphries Institute as a student-led capstone project or similar student-led project. It was mentioned that one of the predominant needs in our parks was shaded benches. Also, there was mention of the need to upgrade/improve Buffer Park.
- Cottageville Park – revised concept plans
Stadler presented the proposed final concept plan. Stadler mentioned that there will be an open house prior to the City Council meeting on December 18.
- Oakes Park discussion items
The members discussed a letter that Stadler presented to the Board in regards to eliminating the hockey rink from Oakes Park – the letter would be sent to the Oakes Park neighborhood and stakeholders. The Board preferred that the letter be sent out during the current ice skating season. Stadler mentioned that the resident survey has not been closed out yet on Surveymonkey. He will present results of the survey at the next meeting.
- Miscellaneous Updates
- Oakes Park planning/MCES Lift Station project
- Cottageville Park/Blake Road corridor plans
- Southwest Transitway Project
Caroline Rinker commented on the value of the 43 Hoops organization to the area as it is the proposed site for the Blake Road LRT station and, as such, it would be removed. Stadler mentioned that the City is working hard to get the station relocated to the south side of the freight rail tracks as it would be more visible and directly accessible from Excelsior Boulevard. The Transitional Station Area Action Plan will address this potential station move.
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project – work is done with the exception of creek filling this winter in an area just south of Nine Mile Cove neighborhood, tree planting in the spring and restoration of the archery range area.
- St Joseph Catholic Church addition – this request for a variance to build within the setback from Central Park is before the Zoning & Planning Commission and has been tabled by the proposer until further notice.
- Park Area Assignment Report
Abbey Bryduck: Hilltop Park, Shady Oak Beach, Shady Oak Nature Area, Minnehaha Creek
Preserve – absent
Bob Hatlestad: Cottageville Park, Oakes Park, Maetzold Field, Hiawatha Oaks – nothing to report
Caroline Rinker: Interlachen Park, Burnes Park, Harley Hopkins Park – nothing to report
Norman Teigen: Buffer Park, Park Valley Playground, Valley Park – nothing to report
Tom Jenny: Downtown Park, Elmo Park, Central Park – nothing to report
V. NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS:
The next regular Park Board Meeting is January 28, 2013 at 6:30 pm.
Norman Teigen made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Caroline Rinker. The motion passed. The meeting adjourned at 7:50 p.m.