Park Board Minutes
February 27, 2012
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on February 27, 2012.
I. Call to Order
Bob Hatlestad, Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:37 p.m.
II. Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Norman Teigen, Bob Hatlestad, Tom Jenny, Colin Serle and Brian Furan. Also present was City of Hopkins Park Board staff liaison Steve Stadler.
III. Approval of Minutes for January 23, 2012
A motion was made by Norman Teigen, seconded by Colin Serle to approve the January 23 minutes. The motion passed with a 5-0 vote.
- Athletic Field Use Policy
Stadler stated that he had not discussed this item with the Hopkins Area Little League representatives yet but that should happen soon as he begins working with them on the Maetzold Field improvement project.
- 2012 Park System Capital Improvements
Stadler led a recap of the February 14, 2012 City Council Worksession discussion on options for increasing revenue into the park improvement fund. Bob Hatlestad mentioned that the Board should consider each park and what park amenities are needed. Stadler will provide the park classification chart that lists park type and the amenities at each park. Also, a city survey question and background needs to be developed regarding resident support for a park improvement funding referendum. Stadler will plan to have something drafted for the March meeting.
During brief discussion on individual park needs it was mentioned that the lighting inside the Valley Park shelter is poor. Also, that we should determine if a soccer field would fit and be a reasonable use in Buffer Park. Stadler will follow-up on these items.
There was some discussion regarding the upcoming Valley Park improvements. Stadler showed various options for a new cable climbing play piece, costs ranged from $18,000 - $45,000 installed, to replace the existing metal dome climber. Additional work would include a new concrete play area edge, wood fiber safety surfacing to replace the pea rock and perhaps a few benches and shade trees along the south side of the play area. The estimated cost of the additional work is $15,000 – $20, 000. Stadler intends to hold a neighborhood meeting to show equipment upgrade options and seek input from residents on park needs, preferred play equipment, etc.
- Maetzold Field Upcoming Improvements & Twins Community Fund Grant application
Stadler reported that $30,000 was received from the Twins Community Fund and that City Council will accept the $150,000 Hennepin Youth Sports grant at the March 5 City Council meeting. Brauer & Associates are under contract to provide professional services including planning, design and construction oversight. Stadler and Brauer & Associates are developing the construction phasing schedule. The new lighting could be installed as early as late March. There was a concern mentioned regarding the new tree plantings and their susceptibility to damage from kids at the park.
- MCES relocation of sanitary sewer lift station to Oakes Park
Stadler updated the Board on status of City – MCES cooperative agreement, purchase of duplexes adjacent to Cottageville Park and the upcoming March 5 public informational meeting. Norman Teigen and Brian Furan mentioned that they planned to attend the public meeting.
- Miscellaneous Updates: Stadler provided an update on the following items.
- Cottageville Park/Blake Road corridor plans – Update provided via agenda item IV D.
- Southwest Transitway Project – preliminary engineering (PE) underway, awaiting public release of DEIS, promises to be a busy 2012 with PE and Transitional Station Area Action Plans work.
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project – streambank stabilization construction continues, trail work to follow. Norman Teigen stated that he would provide photos of the ongoing construction to members, if desired.
- Hopkins Rotary proposed plan for new Burnes Park east shelter – Rotary appears very interested in this community project - Stadler will contact Rotary Club prior to next meeting for an update from them.
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Colin Serle: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park – nothing to report
- Bob Hatlestad: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach – nothing to report
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park – nothing to report
- Norman Teigen: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park – nothing to report
- Tom Jenny: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks – nothing to report
V. Next Scheduled Meeting
The next regular Park Board Meeting is March 19, 2012 at 6:30 pm.
Colin Serle made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Brian Furan. The motion passed with a 5 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 7:40 p.m.