Park Board Minutes
January 23, 2012
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on January 23, 2012.
I. Call To Order
Bob Hatlestad, Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
II. Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Norman Teigen, Bob Hatlestad, Tom Jenny and Colin Serle. Absent was Brian Furan. Also present was City of Hopkins Park Board staff liaison Steve Stadler.
III. Approval Of Minutes For December 19, 2011
A motion was made by Colin Serle, seconded by Bob Hatlestad to approve the December 19 minutes. The motion passed with a 4-0 vote.
- Athletic Field Use Policy
Stadler stated that he had not worked on this item since last meeting. There was a short discussion on the operational expenses at Maetzold Field and what reasonably should be the responsibility of the Hopkins Area Little League.
- 2012 Park System Capital Improvements
There was some discussion on the upcoming Valley Park play area improvements. The tentative plan is to upgrade the container area, replace the existing pea rock with engineered wood fiber fall protection material and replace the existing metal dome climber with one of the new cable climber systems. The existing main play equipment was installed in 1992 and is showing very little corrosion or wear. Stadler hopes to have a few concepts ready for the next meeting.
The Park Board reviewed a recent (Nov 2011) metro-wide survey of city park dedication fees and the Park Improvement Fund (301 fund) working capital report. All agreed that the fund needs more revenue in order for the City to keep its parks in good shape and that it is tenuous to rely solely on park dedication funds. Bob Hatlestad requested a worksession discussion with City Council at the earliest possible date to discuss options for funding park improvements.
- Maetzold Field Upcoming Improvements & Twins Community Fund Grant application
Stadler reported that $30,000 was received from the Twins Community Fund. The City intends to partner with the local landscape architectural firm of Brauer & Associates, Inc. to prepare construction phasing plan and design documents to accomplish the field upgrade.
- Request for recognition plaque at Downtown Park bandshell
There was discussion of the specifics of this request, our existing recognition/memorial programs and how past requests were handled. The Park Board decided to grant the request for a recognition plaque to be mounted on the park bandshell due to the extensive civic resume of the person to be recognized and the duration of his community-wide impact. However, along with the plaque the requester would also be required to plant a shade tree in a park to be determined.
- Miscellaneous Updates: Stadler provided an update on the following items.
- Cottageville Park/Blake Road corridor plans – MCES has made purchase offers to duplex owners and only the northern duplex is a willing seller. Discussion on a cooperative agreement between the City and MCES continues – the agreement will cover cost reimbursement for city purchase of the second duplex, relocation of lift station to Oakes Park. Jason Gadd reported on the January 14 winter fun event held at Cottageville Park.
- Southwest Transitway Project – preliminary engineering status granted by FTA, awaiting public release of DEIS
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project – streambank stabilization work is underway.
- Hopkins Rotary proposed plan for new Burnes Park east shelter – Rotary appears very interested in this community project - Stadler has discussed with Rotary representative John Anderson the city’s willingness to partner with the Rotary to make this project happen in 2012.
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Colin Serle: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park – nothing to report
- Bob Hatlestad: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach – nothing to report
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park – absent
- Norman Teigen: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park – nothing to report
- Tom Jenny: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks – nothing to report
V. Next Schedule Meetings:
The next regular Park Board Meeting is February 27, 2012 at 6:30 pm.
Tom Jenny made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Bob Hatlestad. The motion passed with a 4 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 7:45 p.m.