Park Board Minutes
October 24, 2011
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on October 24, 2011.
I. CALL TO ORDER
Jason Gadd, Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:31 p.m.
II. ROLL CALL
Present were Park Board members: Jason Gadd, Brian Furan and Tom Jenny. Absent was Colin Serle and Bob Hatlestad. Also present was City Engineer John Bradford and City of Hopkins Park Board staff liaison Steve Stadler.
III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES FOR SEPTEMBER 19, 2011.
A motion was made by Brian Furan, seconded by Tom Jenny to approve the September 19 minutes. The motion passed with a 3-0 vote.
- Athletic Field User Fees
A public informational meeting on this item was held at 6:00 pm prior to the Park Board meeting. Stadler described the proposed use policy and user fees, estimated costs by user organization, implementation schedule, meeting notice and applicable athletic fields. Stadler also mentioned that the City of Hopkins is the only organization in the area with publicly held athletic fields not charging a use fee. Dave Stuessi and Matt Lilly representing Hopkins Area Little League (HALL) were the only athletic field users that attended the public meeting. They expressed some concern with additional fees but also understood the city’s need to find additional revenue to support field improvements and maintenance. They asked about the logistics of how the fee would be collected and it was stated that it would be handled through Minnetonka Recreation Dept. as field reservations are made and that additional information would be provided to the field users on the specifics of what to expect next year if the fees are approved by City Council. In response to a question on whether it would be possible to perform in-kind maintenance in lieu of paying user fees, it was stated that this would not be an option. Stadler mentioned that this item is scheduled to be discussed at the Nov 22 City Council work session.
After brief discussion a motion was made by Tom Jenny recommending City Council approve the new athletic field user fees, seconded by Brian Furan. The motion passed on a 3-0 vote.
- Planning session on trail/sidewalk master plan
City Engineer John Bradford explained the purposes for the city-wide sidewalk and trail plan, presented a map showing land uses and destinations. The Park Board engaged in discussion on the areas of the city where there are sidewalk and trail needs based on discontinuous pedestrian segments and/or destinations requiring better pedestrian connections. John Bradford will coalesce comments of the Zoning and Planning Commission, Park Board and other public comment and provide a draft plan at a future date.
- 2012 Hennepin County Youth Sports Grant Application
Stadler presented the completed application with the revised grant request of $172,600, including contributions of $55,000 for the new HALL lighting system and $24,250 in City contribution for a total project cost of $251,850. The grant application was submitted on October 6.
- Metropolitan Council proposed land swap and lift station relocation to Oakes Park
Stadler mentioned that the MCES was given the preferred alternative, option B’, wherein the existing hockey rink is shifted about 70’ directly south to accommodate the lift station in the Lake Street/Tyler Avenue intersection corner of the park. The Park Board inquired as to the need for two access drives to the station, Stadler will get an explanation/justification for two access drives. A future meeting with neighboring residents will be held to present and explain the proposed project and City Council will have to approve the lift station siting. The construction is tentatively scheduled for 2013.
- Miscellaneous Updates: Stadler provided an update on the following items.
- Cottageville Park/Blake Road corridor plans –update on upcoming actions regarding park redevelopment plans.
- Southwest Transitway Project – preliminary engineering status granted by FTA, awaiting public release of DEIS
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project – construction is still anticipated during winter of 2011/2012 – Stadler presented review of creek and trail plans.
- Cottageville Park – Community Garden: Mention of an upcoming November 7 garden party at 6:00 pm in the park to celebrate the success of the community garden.
- 2011 Misc Park Improvement Project update
- Hopkins Rotary proposed plan for new Burnes Park east shelter – Stadler again showed concept plan of new shelter design that would reuse existing shelter’s glue-lam beams, has not heard anything further from the Hopkins Rotary but anticipates a possible 2012 project.
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Colin Serle: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park – absent
- Bob Hatlestad: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach – absent
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park – nothing to report
- Jason Gadd: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park – nothing to report
- Tom Jenny: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks – mentioned need for short fence along the west side of the Park Valley Playground adjacent to 6th Avenue to better separate the children's play areas from the street.
V. NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS:
The next regular Park Board Meeting is November 21, 2011 at 6:30 pm.
Brian Furan made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Tom Jenny. The motion passed with a 3 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 7:39 p.m.