Park Board Minutes
September 19, 2011
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on September 19, 2011.
I. CALL TO ORDER
Jason Gadd, Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:34 p.m.
II. ROLL CALL
Present were Park Board members: Jason Gadd, Brian Furan, Colin Serle and Bob Hatlestad. Absent was Tom Jenny. Also present was Hopkins City Manager Mike Mornson, City of Minnetonka Recreation Director Dave Johnson and City of Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler.
III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES FOR AUGUST 15, 2011.
A motion was made by Bob Hatlestad, seconded by Colin Serle to approve the August 15 minutes. The motion passed with a 4-0 vote.
Molly Cummings, residing at 402 10th Avenue North requested that the Park Board consider pursuing resident membership rates for Hopkins residents at the City of Minnetonka Williston Center. Dave Johnson, Minnetonka Recreation Director responded by explaining the current rates for facility use vs. facility membership. Hopkins residents currently receive reduced rates for classes or programs held at the Williston Center but not for general facility membership. Dave was not opposed to a change but that an agreement would have to be worked out between the two cities.
- Athletic Field User Fees
Stadler described the proposed use policy and user fees, estimated costs by user organization, implementation schedule, meeting notice and park maintenance activities. After discussion, the Park Board agreed to go-ahead with the proposed Oct 24 public meeting on the topic. Stadler will send out individual notices to user organizations next week with estimated 2012 fees.
- Hennepin County Youth Sports Grant Application
Stadler described the details of the proposed application to provide lighting to a third field at Maetzold Field for use by Hopkins Area Little League (HALL). The project budget was presented along with the City of Hopkins contribution towards the tree planting and irrigation system improvements. After some discussion, the Park Board consensus was to proceed with upgrading the third field for Hopkins Area Little League vs. attempt to add lighting and convert the field to a more multi-purpose field to accommodate a broader age range. A motion was made by Bob Hatlestad, seconded by Brian Furan to proceed with the grant application as presented. The motion passed with a 4-0 vote.
- Metropolitan Council proposed land swap and lift station relocation to Oakes Park
Stadler presented the four options for siting the lift station within the park and also discussed the operations/maintenance information sheet provided by the MCES. There was question as to the need for two separate access drives into the lift station site. Stadler will discuss this with MCES staff. Following discussion on the impacts of the various options to the surrounding areas and the park itself, the Park Board preferred the option B’ wherein the lift station is located near the Lake Street/Tyler Avenue intersection and the existing hockey rink is shifted directly south about 70’.
- Miscellaneous Updates: Stadler provided an update on the following items.
- Cottageville Park/Blake Road corridor plans – update on upcoming actions regarding park redevelopment plans.
- Southwest Transitway Project – preliminary engineering status granted by FTA, awaiting public release of DEIS
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project – construction is still anticipated during winter of 2011/2012 – Stadler presented review of creek and trail plans.
- Cottageville Park – Community Garden: Brief update on this successful venture at Cottageville Park.
- 2011 Misc Park Improvement Project update
- Hopkins Rotary proposed plan for new Burnes Park east shelter – Stadler presented concept plans of new shelter design that would reuse existing glue-lam beams
- Park Area Assignment Report
After brief discussion, the following park assignments were agreed to:
- Colin Serle: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park – had to leave meeting early
- Bob Hatlestad: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach – nothing to report
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park – nothing to report
- Jason Gadd: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park – nothing to report
- Tom Jenny: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks – absent
V. NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS:
The next regular Park Board Meeting is October 24, 2011 at 6:30 pm.
Brian Furan made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Bob Hatlestad. The motion passed with a 3 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 7:45 p.m.