Park Board Minutes
August 15, 2011
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on August 15, 2011.
I. CALL TO ORDER
Brian Furan, Vice-Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:36 p.m.
II. ROLL CALL
Present were Park Board members: Jason Gadd, Colin Serle, Bob Hatlestad and Tom Jenny. Absent was Brian Furan. Also present was City of Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler.
III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES FOR APRIL 18, 2011 and MAY 9, 2011.
A motion was made by Colin Serle, seconded by Bob Hatlestad to approve the April and May meeting minutes. The motion passed with a 4-0 vote.
- Athletic Field User Fees
Stadler presented a projected schedule for implementation, list of field users and estimated fees based on 2010 field usage. There was discussion regarding the need for new revenue into the Parks capital improvement plan, potential impact of the new fee to field user organizations, how the new revenue would be used and the current field maintenance activity and costs. Stadler will provide more detailed information for the next meeting.
- Hennepin County Youth Sports Grant Application
Stadler described the proposed application to provide lighting to a third field at Maetzold Field for use by Hopkins Area Little League (HALL). The HALL was recipient of a national safety award which grants them a standard little league field MUSCO outdoor lighting system, valued at $50,000. The grant would provide funds to install the lighting, reduce the outfield from 254’ to 220’, install turf infield and other miscellaneous improvements. There was brief discussion regarding the impact to the softball leagues and Minnetonka-Hopkins Babe Ruth League. More detailed information on the grant application will be provided at the September meeting.
- Election of Officers
After a brief discussion of Park Board officers and terms, Bob Hatlestad made a motion to elect Jason Gadd to a second term as Chair and Brian Furan to a second term as vice-Chair. The motion passed 4-0.
- Miscellaneous Updates: Stadler provided an update on the following items.
- Cottageville Park/Blake Road corridor plans – update on meetings with MCWD, anticipate fall, 2011 discussions regarding park redevelopment plan.
- Southwest Transitway Project – Still awaiting FTA approval of DEIS and go-ahead to begin preliminary engineering.
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project – construction is still anticipated during winter of 2011/2012 – Stadler to bring more information to the September meeting.
- Cottageville Park – Community Garden: Brief update on this first-time, thus far successful venture at Cottageville Park.
- Metropolitan Council Environmental Services plan for lift station in Oakes Park: Stadler gives some background on the proposed plan, i.e. land swap with MCES for Blake Road duplex properties adjacent to Cottageville Park – more information will be available at next meeting.
- 2011 Misc Park Improvement Project update – Stadler reports completion of resurfacing half court basketball courts and park grill replacements
- Park Area Assignment Report
After brief discussion, the following park assignments were agreed to:
- Colin Serle: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park – nothing to report
- Bob Hatlestad: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park – nothing to report
- Jason Gadd: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park – absent
- Tom Jenny: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks – nothing to report
V. NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS:
The next regular Park Board Meeting is September 19, 2011 at 6:30 pm.
Bob Hatlestad made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Colin Serle. The motion passed with a 4 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 7:50 p.m.