Park Board Minutes
May 9, 2011
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on May 9, 2011.
- Call to Order
Brian Furan, Vice-Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:31 p.m.
- Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Sharon Paulson, Kyle Skiermont and Brian Furan. Absent was Jason Gadd. Also present was City of Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler.
- Approval of Minutes
The Board decided to wait until next meeting to approve the April meeting minutes.
- Minnehaha Creek Watershed District Presentation
James Wisker, MCWD, gave a presentation of the creek history and past, present and future creek corridor improvement opportunities.
- Community Garden at Cottageville Park
A neighborhood letter was sent out in late April informing the neighborhood of the garden project – no concerns have been received from neighborhood residents to-date. The City will pursue bringing a new temporary water line into the park, with the approval of the MCWD. After brief discussion, Sharon Paulson made a motion that the Park Board recommend City Council approve this new pilot project at Cottageville Park, seconded by Kyle Skiermont. The motion passed 3-0.
- Review/Discuss/Approve Park System 2012-2016 Capital Improvement Plan
This was the Park Board’s second review of the Park System CIP. After brief discussion, the Board agreed with the following 2012 capital projects: 1) $21,000 final payment of Shady Oak Beach Improvement project; 2) $65,000 play equipment-Valley Park; 3) $10,000 Misc Park Improvements; 4) $15,000 Park Building re-roofing; and 5) $45,000 play equipment-Cottageville Park. Kyle Skiermont made a motion to approve the 2012 Park capital projects, seconded by Sharon Paulson. The motion passed 3-0.
Metropolitan Council Environmental Services proposal for new lift station
Stadler explained the proposal wherein the MCES would purchase the two duplexes between Blake Road and Cottageville Park in exchange for land within Oakes Park to construct a new lift station and underground storage tank. This plan is being considered as it is cost-prohibitive for the MCES to construct a new gravity sewer under Minnehaha Creek as would be required if a lift station were constructed on the duplex property. It is understood that most of the lift station infrastructure would be underground and that the lift station building could conceivably be an addition to the existing warming house and result in a facility upgrade for the park building. The plan is currently concept only and there will be more discussion and feedback as more definite plans are developed. The Park Board briefly discussed and were not opposed to the concept.
- Miscellaneous Updates
Stadler provided an update on the following items.
- Blake Road/Cottageville Park corridor plans – anticipate fall, 2011 discussions regarding park redevelopment plan.
- Southwest Transitway Project – Still awaiting FTA approval of DEIS and go-ahead to begin preliminary engineering.
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project – construction is still anticipated during winter of 2011/2012
- Hennepin County Youth Sports Grant – no update - anticipating a Fall, 2011 grant application deadline
- Shady Oak Beach Improvement project – work is nearly complete, looking forward to a June 10 beach opening.
- Cottageville Park – Community Garden – See item IV B. above.
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Sharon Paulson: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park - nothing to report.
- VACANT: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park - nothing to report.
- Jason Gadd: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park - absent.
- Kyle Skiermont: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks - nothing to report.
- Next Scheduled Meetings
The next regular Park Board Meeting is June 20, 2011 at 6:30 pm.
Sharon Paulson made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Kyle Skiermont. The motion passed with a 3 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 7:57 p.m.