Park Board Minutes
February 28, 2011
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on February 28, 2011.
- Call to Order
Jason Gadd, Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
- Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Jason Gadd, Brian Furan and Kyle Skiermont. Absent was Sharon Paulson. Also present was City of Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler. Linda Flynn had informed Steve Stadler and the Park Board last month that she needed to resigned from the Board due to conflicts with her college classes.
- Approval of Minutes
Brian Furan made a motion to approve the January 24 meeting minutes, seconded by Kyle Skiermont. The motion to approve the minutes passed with a 3-0 vote.
- Review 2009-2010 Strategic Plan and consider 2011-2012 Goals/Objectives/Action Steps
Steve Stadler provided a proposed new plan based on some minor updates to the 2009-2010 Strategic Plan and goals to remove actions that were completed last year. After a short discussion, it was decided to continue with the proposed 2011-2012 Strategic Plan with the understanding that additional changes could be made, as needed.
- Discuss use of 2010 miscellaneous park improvement funds
Steve Stadler presented the following proposed 2011 improvements for Park Board consideration:
Burnes Park - play area edging: $1,000
After a short discussion Kyle Skiermont made a motion to approve the 2011 improvement list, seconded by Brian Furan. The motion to approve the 2011 improvements passed with a 3-0 vote.
Interlachen Park - portable restroom screen: $500
Oakes Park & Valley Park – replace landscaping around warming houses: $2,000
Hilltop, Burnes & Central Park grill replacements: $1,500
New leveling & color coats for ½ courts at Elmo, Burnes & Park Valley Playgrd: $5,000
- Community Garden at Cottageville Park
Stadler provided the following update to the Park Board members. Ann Beuch, new BRCC Community Outreach Coordinator is looking into the possibility of constructing a small community garden in the east area of the park. Providing water for garden users will be one challenge to overcome – Ann will keep Steve informed of her progress with the goal of presenting a proposal to the Park Board at the April 18 meeting.
- Miscellaneous Updates
Stadler provided an update on the following items.
- Blake Road/Cottageville Park planning – MCWD property acquisition is underway, its been a challenge working with Metropolitan Council regarding acquisition of the two duplexes for new lift station
- Southwest Transitway Project – Awaiting FTA approval of DEIS and go-ahead to begin preliminary engineering
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project – phase II environmental work to be done this spring with construction during winter of 2011/2012
- Hennepin County Youth Sports Grant – Anticipating a Fall, 2011 grant application deadline
- Shady Oak Beach Improvement project – work to commence again this spring with completion of site work and installation of new playground equipment.
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Sharon Paulson: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park - absent.
- VACANT: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach - absent.
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park - nothing to report.
- Jason Gadd: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park - nothing to report.
- Kyle Skiermont: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks - nothing to report.
- Next Scheduled Meetings
The next regular Park Board Meeting is March 21, 2011 at 6:30 pm.
Kyle Skiermont made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Brian Furan. The motion passed with a 3 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 7:15 p.m.