Park Board Minutes
January 24, 2011
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on January 24, 2011.
- Call to Order
Jason Gadd, Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
- Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Jason Gadd, Brian Furan and Sharon Paulson. Absent were Linda Flynn and Kyle Skiermont. Also present was City of Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler. Linda Flynn informed Steve Stadler that she has resigned from the Board due to conflicts with her college classes.
- Approval of Minutes
Sharon Paulson made a motion to approve the October 18 meeting minutes, seconded by Brian Furan. The motion to approve the minutes passed with a 3-0 vote
- Request for memorial rock at Interlachen Park
Steve Stadler summarized the request for a memorial rock at Interlachen Park. There was discussion about the request, the City’s current memorial programs and the need to provide a public benefit in conjunction with the memorial. After the discussion, Sharon Paulson moved to deny the request for the memorial rock at Interlachen Park, seconded by Brian Furan. The motion to deny passed with a 3-0 vote. The Park Board asked that a letter be sent to the requestor explaining the decision. Stadler will draft a letter for Jason Gadd’s signature.
- Review 2009-2010 Strategic Plan and consider 2011-2012 Goals/Objectives/Action Steps
After a short discussion, it was decided to continue to discuss this item with a full Board at the next meeting and that Steve Stadler would provide a proposed update to the plan.
- Discuss use of 2010 miscellaneous park improvement funds
After a short discussion, it was decided that Steve Stadler would provide some proposed improvements for 2011.
- Miscellaneous Updates
Stadler provided an update on the following items.
- Blake Road/Cottageville Park planning – update on MCWD property acquisition, Metropolitan Council acquisition for new lift station, potential timing of work, etc.
- Southwest Transitway Project – Awaiting FTA approval of DEIS and go-ahead to begin preliminary engineering
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project
- Hennepin County Youth Sports Grant – The deadline to submit an application for a 2011 grant was November 1. The City received no notification of the application deadline.
- Shady Oak Beach Improvement project – work to commence again this spring with completion of site work and installation of new playground equipment
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Sharon Paulson: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park - nothing to report.
- Linda Flynn: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach - absent.
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park - picnic tables at Central Park in need of repairs.
- Jason Gadd: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park - nothing to report.
- Kyle Skiermont: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks - absent.
- Next Scheduled Meetings
The next regular Park Board Meeting is February 28, 2011 at 6:30 pm.
Sharon Paulson made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Brian Furan. The motion passed with a 3 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 7:33 p.m.