Park Board Minutes
October 18, 2010
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on October 18, 2010.
- Call to Order
Jason Gadd, Chairperson called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
- Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Jason Gadd, Brian Furan, Linda Flynn and Kyle Skiermont. Also present was City of Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler. Kyle Skiermont had to leave the meeting at 7:25 pm.
- Approval of Minutes
Linda Flynn made a motion to approve the September 20 meeting minutes, seconded by Kylke Skiermont. The motion to approve the minutes passed with a 4-0 vote.
- Discuss Park Tour and Park Needs
The Board briefly discussed the park tour. Stadler mentioned the 2010 and 2011 Capital Improvement funds in the amount of $10,000 each year for miscellaneous park improvements. After a short discussion, Chair Gadd asked members to consider potential improvements for their assigned parks to be discussed at the November meeting.
The Board discussed the parks capital improvement program and reviewed the timing of the various play equipment replacement projects.
- Review 2009-2010 Strategic Plan and consider 2011-2012 Goals/Objectives/Action Steps
The Board discussed a potential goal to improve park awareness through various media by highlighting the various uses of the parks for recreation and organized athletic events. They also discussed greater involvement in the Hopkins-in-Motion annual fall community event. The item will continue to be discussed at the November meeting.
- Miscellaneous Updates
Stadler provided an update on the following items.
- Blake Road/Cottageville Park planning – update on MCWD property acquisition, Metropolitan Council acquisition for new lift station, potential timing of work, etc.
- Southwest Transitway Project - DEIS work is underway
- "Hopkins-in-Motion" – event recap
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project
- Hennepin County Youth Sports Grant.
- Memorial Bench sale – Burnes Park
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Sharon Paulson: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park - nothing to report.
- Linda Flynn: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach - nothing to report.
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park - picnic tables at Central Park in need of repairs.
- Jason Gadd: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park - nothing to report.
- Kyle Skiermont: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks - nothing to report.
- Next Scheduled Meetings
The next regular Park Board Meeting is November 15, 2010 at 6:30 pm.
Linda Flynn made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Brian Furan. The motion passed with a 3 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 7:40 p.m.