Park Board Minutes
September 20, 2010
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on September 20, 2010.
- Call to Order
Jason Gadd, Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
- Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Jason Gadd, Sharon Paulson, Brian Furan, Linda Flynn and Kyle Skiermont. Also present was City of Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler.
- Approval of Minutes
- Sharon Paulson made a motion to approve the June 21 meeting minutes, seconded by Brian Furan. The motion to approve the minutes passed with a 5-0 vote.
- Kyle Skiermont made a motion to approve the August 16 meeting minutes, seconded by Sharon Paulson. The motion to approve the minutes passed with a 5-0 vote.
- Tobacco-Free Parks Policy
Stadler presented a brief explanation of the history of this item, including previous meeting actions. Chair Gadd asked if there were any present wanting to be heard on this item. There being none the Board had a short discussion on the item. Linda Flynn made a motion to approve the proposed new Legislative Policy #5G which bans the use of tobacco products in City parks for City Council consideration, seconded by Sharon Paulson. The motion passed with a 5-0 vote.
Later in the meeting, at 7:15 pm Paul O’Black, resident residing at 246 9th Ave N arrived at the meeting and spoke in favor of the proposed tobacco ban in City parks.
- Blake Road Corridor Collaborative (BRCC) - Cottageville Park Improvements
Stadler updated the Board on status of Minnehaha Creek Watershed District property acquisitions and Memorandum of Agreement between the City and the watershed district.
- Shady Oak Beach project update
Stadler updated the Board on the project, handed-out and briefly discussed the site improvement plan. Stadler mentioned that a groundbreaking ceremony has been scheduled for Oct 8 and that he would send additional information on it to Board members.
- Miscellaneous Updates
Stadler provided an update on the following items.
- Blake Road/Cottageville Park planning - covered by previous agenda topic.
- Southwest Transitway Project - DEIS work is underway
- "Hopkins-in-Motion" – event recap
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project
- Hennepin County Youth Sports Grant.
- Memorial Bench sale – Burnes Park
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Sharon Paulson: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park - nothing to report.
- Linda Flynn: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach - nothing to report.
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park - nothing to report.
- Jason Gadd: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park - nothing to report.
- Kyle Skiermont: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks - nothing to report.
- Next Scheduled Meetings
The next regular Park Board Meeting is October 18, 2010 at 7:00 pm preceded by a park tour beginning at 5:30 pm.
Sharon Paulson made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Linda Flynn. The motion passed with a 5 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 7:23 p.m.