Park Board Minutes
March 15, 2010
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on March 15, 2010.
- Call to Order
Aaron Kuznia, Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:32 p.m.
- Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Aaron Kuznia, Brian Furan, Doug Datta, Jason Gadd and Sharon Paulson. Also present was City of Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler.
- Approval of Minutes
Sharon Paulson made a motion and Doug Datta seconded to approve the minutes from the February 22 meeting. On the vote, the minutes were approved 5 - 0.
- Shady Oak Beach Project Update
Steve Stadler gave a short update on the project schedule. The bid opening is Friday, April 2. In addition to Brian Furan, Aaron Kuznia also expressed interest in serving on the play equipment review committee.
- Athletic Field User Fees
This item has been delayed until we receive user information and revenue information from the City of Minnetonka Recreation Dept.
- Park Improvement Plan/Capital Improvement Plan
Initial discussions on the Park improvement plan. There was discussion regarding the uncertain nature of the initiative to expand Cottageville Park to Minnehaha Creek and how that impacts planning for the park play equipment upgrades/replacement, a new picnic shelter and/or basketball court improvements. There was interest in looking at play equipment component replacement vs. wholesale replacement, if possible. Perhaps a condition assessment of the Oakes Park play equipment, the play equipment is currently scheduled for replacement in 2013. Stadler mentioned he would like to replace the color coating on the asphalt 1/2 court play areas in the neighborhood parks.
- Miscellaneous Updates
- Blake Road/Cottageville Park planning
- Southwest Transitway Project - DEIS work is underway
- "Hopkins-in-Motion" - next event date: Sept 11, 2010
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project - work is underway on 5th St S culvert replacement, work continuing on trying to secure a trail easement from Peace Valley Townhome Association located at 7th St S/9th Ave S
- Maetzold Field batter cages, pitching pen improvements - anticipate discussions with HALL to resume this spring
- Curling Rink/Multi-use facility proposal - information will be forwarded to Board members
- Hennepin County Youth Sports Grant. Board members discussed the proposed $69,000 grant application for a Pavilion equipment storage addition and rink divider curtains. Doug Datta made a motion to support the second round grant application as presented, seconded by Jason Gadd, on the vote the motion passed 5-0.
- May 25 Joint meeting with City Council - date was updated from April 27 to May 25. No discussion.
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Sharon Paulson: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park - nothing to report.
- Aaron Kuznia: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach - wet conditions at Interlachen but water is draining. There appears to be a vehicle parked for extended periods at the Interlachen parking lot.
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park - cable work needed on a bridge along the trail in Valley Park .
- Jason Gadd: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park - a lot of debris at Cottageville Park
- Doug Datta: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks - nothing to report.
- Next Scheduled Meetings
The next regular Park Board Meeting is April 19, 2010.
Sharon Paulson made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Brian Furan. The motion carried on a 5 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 7:39 p.m.