Park Board Minutes
January 25, 2010
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on January 25, 2010.
- Call to Order
Aaron Kuznia, Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:34 p.m. .
- Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Aaron Kuznia, Brian Furan, Doug Datta and Jason Gadd. Sharon Paulson was absent. Also present was City of Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler and Jennifer Garvey, City of Minnetonka Programs & Aquatic Manager.
- Approval of Minutes
Doug Datta made a motion and Brian Furan seconded to approve the minutes from the December 21 meeting. On the vote, the minutes were approved 4 - 0.
- Shady Oak Beach Project Update
Jennifer Garvey, Minnetonka Programs & Aquatic Manager presented information on the Shady oak Beach site improvements and play equipment acquisition. It is anticipated that an RFP will be issued to play equipment manufacturers in March 2010 with proposals due in late April, 2010. Brian Furan expressed interest in being a member of the play equipment review committee. The committee will be comprised of Hopkins and Minnetonka Park Board members and staff.
- Athletic Field User Fees
New field user fees were discussed and charts showing new Minnetonka athletic field fees and proposed Hopkins fees were provided to PB members. There was a question on how much non-profit organizations would pay and how additional field user fee revenue would be used.
- Picnic Shelter Fees
Jennifer Garvey presented her staff report. The proposed new fee structure would change the fees to a flat rate of $43 or $80/5-hour reservation for resident or non-resident user, respectively. Non-profit organization fees would be slightly less at $40 and $75/5-hour reservation. After a short discussion, Doug Datta made a motion to accept the proposed new picnic reservation fees, seconded by Jason Gadd. On the vote, the motion passed 4-0.
- Miscellaneous Updates
- Blake Road/Cottageville Park planning - no update
- Southwest Transitway Project - no update
- Zion Lutheran Church parking lot lease agreement - it was agreed that this item could be dropped from the agenda.
- New annual Hopkins healthy living annual community event, "Hopkins-in-Motion" - next event date: Sept 11, 2010
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project - work is underway on 5th St S culvert replacement, work continuing on trying to secure a trail easement from Peace Valley Townhome Association located at 7th St S/9th Ave S
- Shady Oak Beach Report - see above
- Hennepin Youth Sports Grant Program - $187,500 Shady Oak Beach playground upgrade project grant received.
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Sharon Paulson: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park - absent.
- Aaron Kuznia: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach - nothing to report.
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park - nothing to report.
- Jason Gadd: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park - nothing to report.
- Doug Datta: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks - nothing to report.
- Next Scheduled Meeting
The next regular Park Board Meeting is February 22, 2010 (changed from Feb 15 due to Presidents Day holiday).
Doug Datta made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Brian Furan. The motion carried on a 4 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 7:30 p.m.