Park Board Minutes
December 21, 2009
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on December 21, 2009.
Next Scheduled Meeting
- Call to Order
Molly Cummings, Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:33 p.m
- Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Molly Cummings, Aaron Kuznia, Brian Furan, Doug Datta and Sharon Paulson. Also present was City of Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler and Jennifer Garvey, City of Minnetonka Programs & Aquatic Manager.
- Approval of minutes
Sharon Paulson made a motion and Doug Datta seconded to approve the minutes from the November 16 meeting. On the vote, the minutes were approved 5 - 0.
- Shady Oak Beach Project Update
Candace Amberg, Brauer & Associates, Inc. and Jennifer Garvey, City of Minnetonka presented the proposed schematic plans for the 2010 Shady Oak Beach playground area renovation. The following project elements were discussed: the separate play area plans, the types of play equipment, the proposed use of shade sails in the upper play area, site access, project budget and schedule.
- Athletic Field User Fees
Stadler is working with Minnetonka staff and should have a proposed Hopkins fee schedule for the Park Board to consider at its January 25, 2010 meeting.
- Humphrey Institute student report on Cottageville Park
The Park Board discussed the student report.
- Miscellaneous Updates
- Blake Road/Cottageville Park planning - Stadler mentioned upcoming Boy Scout project proposal to come to Park Board + expected citizen engagement in CIP. Briefly discussed the draft Blake Road Community Action Plan developed by Holly Ziemer, concentrating on the Cottageville Park areas.
- Southwest Transitway Project - no update
- Zion Lutheran Church parking lot lease agreement - no update
- New annual Hopkins healthy living annual community event, "Hopkins-in-Motion" - next event date: Sept 11, 2010
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project - work is underway on 5th St S culvert replacement, work continuing on trying to secure a trail easement from Peace Valley Townhome Association located at 7th St S/9th Ave S
- Shady Oak Beach Report
- Hennepin Youth Sports Grant Program - $187,500 Shady Oak Beach playground upgrade project grant received.
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Sharon Paulson: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park - nothing to report.
- Aaron Kuznia: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach - nothing to report.
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park - nothing to report.
- Molly Cummings: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park - nothing to report.
- Doug Datta: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks - nothing to report.
- Elect New Officers
Chairperson Molly Cummings has resigned to become a commissioner on the Zoning & Planning Commission.
Sharon Paulson made a motion to nominate Aaron Kuznia as the Park Board Chair, seconded by Doug Datta. On the vote, the motion passed 5-0.
The next regular Park Board Meeting is January 25, 2010.
Sharon Paulson made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Brian Furan. The motion carried on a 5 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 7:30 p.m.