Park Board Minutes
November 16, 2009
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on November 16, 2009.
Next Scheduled Meeting
- Call to Order
Molly Cummings, Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:40 p.m
- Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Molly Cummings, Aaron Kuznia, Brian Furan and Doug Datta. Sharon Paulson was absent. Also present was City of Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler and Jennifer Garvey, City of Minnetonka Programs & Aquatic Manager.
- Approval of minutes
Doug Datta made a motion and Aaron Kuznia seconded to approve the minutes from the October 19 meeting. On the vote, the minutes were approved 4 - 0.
- Shady Oak Beach Update
Jennifer Garvey provided an update on the 2009 beach season including an operations review and the results from a 2009 season pass survey.
- Hopkins Area Little League Presentation (added agenda item)
Paul Hurth, HALL President gave a presentation on HALL's proposal to add two batting cages and one pitching pen to Maetzold Field. The proposed plan would place the new facilities between fields 2 & 3 with a side-by-side or stacked arrangement possible. The anticipated cost is $25,000 based on the price paid for batting cages recently added to Minnetonka's Gilliam Field. The next steps are: determine location, seek proposal from Twin West Co. and/or other contractors, develop a funding agreement between HALL and the City and construct the batting cages. Following the discussion, Doug Datta made a motion that the Park Board and City Staff proceed in working with HALL on these potential improvements including funding assistance, as possible within budgets and available Park Dedication Funds, the amount to be determined at a later date. Brian Furan seconded the motion. On the vote, the motion passed 4-0.
- Athletic User Fees
Stadler advised the Board that the City of Minnetonka is in the process of revising its fee schedule for athletic fields. Stadler will work with Minnetonka Recreation staff to develop a matrix of Hopkins fields and proposed fees to be consistent with the City of Minnetonka program. It is anticipated that the Minnetonka City Council will approve the revised fee schedule. It is anticipated that a proposed Hopkins fee schedule could be ready for Park Board consideration at its December 21 meeting.
- Interlachen Park Hockey Lights (added agenda item)
Steve Stadler requested support from the Park Board for replacing the existing energy inefficient lights for the Interlachen hockey rink with four new 400W pulse-Metal Halide lights. The cost for the lights and installation is $2,969. This additional cost will bring the total project expense to-date to about $93,000 just over the $90,000 project budget.
Doug Datta made a motion to approve the installation of the new hockey lights, seconded by Aaron Kuznia. The motion passed on a 4-0 vote.
- Miscellaneous Updates
- Blake Road/Cottageville Park planning - no update
- Southwest Transitway Project - no update
- Zion Lutheran Church parking lot lease agreement - no update
- New annual Hopkins healthy living annual community event, "Hopkins-in-Motion" - next event date: Sept 11, 2010
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project - work to begin on 5th St S culvert replacement, work continuing on trying to secure a trail easement from Peace Valley Townhome Association located at 7th St S/9th Ave S
- Shady Oak Beach Report - concept plans to be presented to Park Board at upcoming meeting.
- Hennepin Youth Sports Grant Program - Shady Oak Beach playground upgrade project has been submitted.
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Sharon Paulson: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park - absent
- Aaron Kuznia: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach - nothing to report
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park - See October comments.
- Molly Cummings: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park - graffiti removed
- Doug Datta: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks - nothing to report.
The next regular Park Board Meeting is December 21, 2009.
Aaron Kuznia made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Doug Datta. The motion carried on a 4 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 8:14 p.m.