Park Board Minutes
October 19, 2009
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on October 19, 2009.
- Call to Order
Molly Cummings, Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
- Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Molly Cummings, Aaron Kuznia, Brian Furan, Doug Datta and Sharon Paulson. Also present was City of Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler.
- Approval of Minutes for September 21, 2009
Aaron Kuznia made a motion and Sharon Paulson seconded to approve the minutes from the September 21 meeting. On the vote, the minutes were approved 5 - 0.
- Interlachen Park Improvements
Steve Stadler provided an update on the project costs to-date. The total charged to the project budget is $89,703.14. The Board discussed how the October 10 neighborhood play equipment installation went. All were very satisfied with the installation, including the Minnesota/Wisconsin Playground-contracted installation supervisor and the neighborhood participation, which numbered up to 15 volunteers. Park Board members Aaron Kuznia (also an Interlachen neighborhood resident), Doug Datta and staff liaison Steve Stadler participated. There was mention made of a possible ribbon-cutting ceremony of some kind at the park next spring.
- Athletic Field User Fees
Steve Stadler handed out information to members on a proposed City of Minnetonka program to revise its user fees for athletic fields. If the City of Minnetonka City Council approves the changes, the plan is to consider similar adjustments to the fees for Hopkins' fields. This will be a potential December Park Board Meeting agenda item.
- Miscellaneous Updates
- Blake Road/Cottageville Park planning
- Southwest Transitway Project
- Zion Lutheran Church parking lot lease agreement
- New annual Hopkins healthy living annual community event, "Hopkins-in-Motion"
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project
- Shady Oak Beach Report
- Hennepin Youth Sports Grant Program
Steve Stadler gave an update on the last two items Shady Oak Beach Report and Hennepin Youth Sports Grant Program.
A detailed update on the Shady Oak Beach 2009 operations will be provided at the November 16 Park Board Meeting.
Stadler informed members that unless new information is obtained at upcoming public information meetings on project eligibility and application scoring criteria, the plan is to submit the Shady Oak Beach community play area upgrade (2010 CIP project) as a joint City of Hopkins & Minnetonka project application.
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Sharon Paulson: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park - nothing to report.
- Aaron Kuznia: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach - nothing to report.
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park - will send comments via email.
- Molly Cummings: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park - Cottageville Park still has graffiti on blue steel support piece.
- Doug Datta: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks - nothing to report.
- Next Scheduled Meetings
The next regular Park Board Meeting is November 16, 2009.
Aaron Kuznia made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Sharon Paulson. The motion carried on a 5 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 7:33 pm.