Park Board Minutes
September 21, 2009
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on September 21, 2009.
Next Schedule Meeting
- Call to Order
Molly Cummings, Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:33 p.m.
- Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Molly Cummings, Doug Datta and Sharon Paulson. Absent were members Aaron Kuznia and Brian Furan. Also present was City of Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler.
- Approval of minutes for August 17, 2009
Doug Datta moved and Sharon Paulson seconded a motion to approve the minutes from the August 17 meeting. On the vote, the minutes were approved 3 - 0.
- Interlachen Park Improvements
Steve Stadler provided an update on the project. The warming house upgrade and picnic pavilion are completed. Public Works staff will be painting the warming house. City staff is investigating replacement of the existing hockey rink lights with the newer energy efficient metal halide lights that were installed for the open skate area. The neighborhood volunteer play equipment install dates are still October 10-11.
- Cottageville Park/Blake Road Corridor Concept Plans
Steve Stadler handed out and presented concept plans for stormwater management along the Minnehaha Creek corridor in the Lake Street area. The plans also included proposed expansion of Cottageville Park to Blake Road and to the creek. In addition, the plans also indicated a couple alternative locations for a new Metropolitan Council sanitary sewer lift station to replace the one that is currently at the NW corner of Lake Street and Blake Road. The City is hoping to further develop a partnership arrangement with Minnehaha Creek Watershed District and the Metropolitan Council that could lead to property acquisition and redevelopment along the creek corridor, including: stormwater treatment, improved creek visibility and accessibility, park expansion/enhancements and lift station relocation. This planning effort is in the early stages - further updates will be provided, as needed.
- Miscellaneous Updates
- Rotary Trailside Improvement Project (Rotary Oasis): The ribbon cutting event was held at 2:00 pm during the September 12 "Hopkins-in-Motion" event. The Park Dedication Fund provided funds to purchase: water fountain, bike rack, improved lighting and electrical service to the site.
- Blake Road/Cottageville Park planning: see agenda item IV B. above.
- Southwest Transitway Project: Sept 17 PAC Public Hearing held at Eisenhower Community Center. Expected action by HCRRA and Metropolitan Council by year-end to approve a locally preferred alternative, which is anticipated to be route 3A, the consultant and TAC recommend alternative.
- Zion Lutheran Church parking lot lease agreement: No update.
- New annual Hopkins healthy living annual community event, "Hopkins-in-Motion": the first event was held on September 12, it was a success with the potential for growing the event in the future.
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project. Work is to start on the upper reach of the project (Excelsior Blvd to 9th Avenue crossing) this fall/winter. Work on the lower section through Valley Park is scheduled to start in fall 2010. Trail paving would occur in fall 2010 or spring/summer 2011.
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Sharon Paulson: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park - nothing to report.
- Aaron Kuznia: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach - absent.
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park - absent.
- Molly Cummings: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park - Cottageville Park nearby garbage cans overflow, graffiti on blue steel support piece.
- Doug Datta: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks - nothing to report.
- Other Items:
Hennepin Youth Sports Program Grant Program. Steve Stadler explained the grant program and Board members discussed potential project ideas, including: a disc golf course, improvements to Buffer Park. The grant application is due November 3, 2009.
Sharon Paulson mentioned that she was contacted regarding the upcoming Oct 3 Blake Road corridor/Cottageville Park clean-up event.
The next regular Park Board Meeting is October 19, 2009.
Sharon Paulson moved and Doug Datta seconded a motion to adjourn. The motion carried on a 3 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 8:00 p.m.