Park Board Minutes
August 17, 2009
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on August 17, 2009.
- Call to Order
Molly Cummings, Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
- Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Molly Cummings, Aaron Kuznia and Sharon Paulson. Absent were members Doug Datta and Brian Furan. Also present was City of Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler.
- Approval of minutes for July 20, 2009
Sharon Paulson moved and Aaron Kuznia seconded a motion to approve the minutes from the July 20 meeting. On the vote, the minutes were approved 3 - 0.
- Interlachen Park Improvements
Steve Stadler provided an update of the project schedule and costs. Construction is underway and going well. Feedback from the neighborhood thus far has been positive. Change orders to the contracts to-date are: removed roofing and insulation boards: $800, install new insulation: $375, extend ice resurfacer concrete slab: $380, add new wall mount light over warming house entrance: $434.51. Total contract costs to-date, including new play equipment, are: $83,103.16. The neighborhood has agreed upon October 10-11 play equipment installation dates.
- Miscellaneous Updates
- Rotary Trailside Improvement Project (Rotary Oasis): Work is nearly complete; a ribbon cutting event is scheduled for 2:00 pm during the "Hopkins-in-Motion" event on September 12.
- Blake Road/Cottageville Park planning: A new planning effort is underway to leverage funds from the Minnehaha Creek Watershed District and Metropolitan Council Environmental Services for potential property acquisitions. There will be a presentation of the plans at the Sept 21 Park Board Meeting.
- Southwest Transitway Project: Work continues through the TAC and PAC towards the selection of a locally preferred alternative route from the four possible LRT routes, Sept 17 PAC Public Hearing scheduled at Eisenhower Community Center.
- Zion Lutheran Church parking lot lease agreement: No update.
- New annual Hopkins healthy living annual community event, "Hopkins-in-Motion" to be held on September 12, 2009. Park Board members have dates/times of future planning meetings.
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project. Work is to start on the upper reach of the project (Excelsior Blvd to 9th Avenue crossing) this fall. Work on the lower section through Valley Park is scheduled to start in the December 2009/January 2010 timeframe. Trail paving would occur in the summer/fall 2010.
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Sharon Paulson: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park - nothing to report.
- Aaron Kuznia: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach - nothing to report.
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park - absent.
- Molly Cummings: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park - nothing to report.
- Doug Datta: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks - absent.
- Other Items:
- Next Schedule Meeting
The next regular Park Board Meeting is September 21, 2009.
Aaron Kuznia moved and Sharon Paulson seconded a motion to adjourn. The motion carried on a 3 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 7:22 p.m.