Park Board Minutes
July 20, 2009
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on July 20, 2009.
- Call to Order
Doug Datta, Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m
- Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Molly Cummings, Doug Datta, Brian Furan, Aaron Kuznia and Sharon Paulson. Also present was City of Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler.
- Approval of minutes for June 15, 2009
Molly Cummings moved and Sharon Paulson seconded a motion to approve the minutes from the June 15 meeting. On the vote, the minutes were approved 5 - 0.
- Election of Officers
Sharon Paulson moved that Molly Cummings be elected as chairperson, seconded by Brian Furan. On the vote, the motion passed 4-0.
Molly Cummings moved that Aaron Kuznia be elected as vice-chair, seconded by Brian Furan. On the vote, the motion passed 4-0
- Interlachen Park Improvements
Steve Stadler provided an update of the project schedule and costs. The total cost of play equipment and various contracts are $81,013.65. The construction should be well underway by the next meeting. The neighborhood has agreed upon October 10-11 play equipment installation dates.
- Request for new motocross bicycle track
Stadler provided information provided by the Cargill employee with his request for a bicycle track in the Valley Park area. The Park Board discussed the proposed track and was concerned with the compatibility of this use with the surrounding area, the expense and labor required to maintain it. There was a general consensus that Hopkins was too limited in available passive use space to accommodate this request. Molly Cummings moved to deny the request, seconded by Sharon Paulson. On the vote, the motion to deny carried 5-0.
- Miscellaneous Updates
- Tennis Court rehab: work is completed.
- Rotary Trailside Improvement Project (Rotary Oasis): Work has begun and should be completed this fall.
- Blake Road/Cottageville Park planning: The City Council approved the Blake Road corridor small area plan. Sidewalk construction along the east side of the roadway will be done in August 2009.
- Southwest Transitway Project: Work continues through the TAC and PAC towards the selection of a locally preferred alternative route from the four possible LRT routes.
- Zion Lutheran Church parking lot lease agreement: No update.
- New annual Hopkins healthy living annual community event, "Hopkins-in-Motion" to be held on September 12, 2009. Park Board members have dates/times of future planning meetings.
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project. Work is to start on the upper reach of the project (Excelsior Blvd to 9th Avenue crossing) this fall. Work on the lower section through Valley Park is scheduled to start in the December 2009/January 2010 timeframe. Trail paving would occur in the summer/fall 2010.
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Sharon Paulson: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park - nothing to report.
- Aaron Kuznia: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach - nothing to report.
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park - nothing to report.
- Molly Cummings: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park - nothing to report.
- Doug Datta: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks - nothing to report.
- Other Items:
Molly Cummings stated that she can no longer regularly attend the Depot Partners meetings that are held on the 3rd Wednesdays at 3:00 pm. She asked that other members try to attend whenever possible. She also requested an update on Shady Oak Beach for the next meeting.
- Next Schedule Meeting
The next regular Park Board Meeting is August 17, 2009.
Sharon Paulson moved and Brian Furan seconded a motion to adjourn. The motion carried on a 5 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 7:25 p.m.