Park Board Minutes
June 15, 2009
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on June 15, 2009.
- Call to Order
Doug Datta, Chairperson, called the meeting to order at 6:33 p.m.
- Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Molly Cummings, Doug Datta, Brian Furan, Aaron Kuznia and Sharon Paulson. Also present was City of Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler.
Approval of Minutes
Aaron Kuznia moved and Brian Furan seconded a motion to approve the minutes from the May 18 meeting. On the vote, the minutes were approved 5 - 0.
- Interlachen Park Improvements
Steve Stadler provided a memo to Park Board members describing the project schedule, contractors and costs to-date. There were five Interlachen Park neighborhood residents in attendance. There were questions and discussion on the location of the portable toilet and grills and scope of trail paving in the park. The toilet and enclosure would be located along the path approaching the warming house, as originally proposed. The trail would be paved only to the warming house to preserve park green space.
- Park Memorial Bench and Tree Program
Stadler provided a brief update. A St Cloud area granite stone provider had been contacted and looked promising for future orders of granite pieces at reduced prices. Stadler provided an email from the City Finance Director regarding charitable contributions. The email included attached IRS information stating that contributions to cities (a qualified organization per IRS rules) for public purposes is tax deductible. A contribution of a park bench or tree in a public park would certainly seem to qualify as public purpose.
- Miscellaneous Updates
- Tennis Court rehab: work is completed.
- Rotary Trailside Improvement Project (Rotary Oasis): Work has begun and should be completed this fall.
- Blake Road/Cottageville Park planning: The City Council approved the Blake Road corridor small area plan and sidewalk construction along the east side of the roadway will be done in August 2009.
- Southwest Transitway Project: Work continues through the TAC and PAC towards the selection of a locally preferred alternative route from the four possible LRT routes.
- Zion Lutheran Church parking lot lease agreement: No update.
- New annual Hopkins healthy living annual community event, "Hopkins-in-Motion" to be held on September 12, 2009. Park Board members have dates/times of future planning meetings.
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project. Work is to start on the upper reach of the project (Excelsior Blvd to 9th Avenue crossing) this fall. Work on the lower section through Valley Park is scheduled to start in the December 2009/January 2010 timeframe. Trail paving would occur in the summer/fall 2010.
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Sharon Paulson: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park - nothing to report.
- Aaron Kuznia: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach - nothing to report.
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park - repairs needed for exposed wood condition on accessible pathway to swings at Valley Park.
- Molly Cummings: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park - graffiti on bench to the left at play equipment area.
- Doug Datta: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks - Nothing to report.
- Other Items:
- Stadler reported on the landscaping improvements that were done around the Burnes Park sign by volunteers from the Campbell Addition/Hobby Acres neighborhood. Molly Cummings mentioned that it would be great if the City had a garden club and that she would like to try to organize such a group to plant and maintain planted areas in the parks.
- Stadler reported that park signs were being replaced and asked Park Board members to review wording and let him know if there were concerns or requests. There was a question about the wording regarding alcohol in the parks and park hours. Stadler will look into these concerns. It was mentioned that the sample sign provided was from Central Park where there are longer hours due to softball games.
- Molly asked about the location of dog permitted signs at Burnes Park and whether there should be a sign on the trail as you enter the park on the Minnetonka Mills side of the park. Stadler will check on this.
- Next Scheduled Meeting
The next regular Park Board Meeting is July 20, 2009.
Molly Cummings moved and Aaron Kuznia seconded a motion to adjourn. The motion carried on a 5 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 7:52 p.m.