Park Board Minutes
May 18, 2009
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on May 18, 2009.
- Call to Order
Doug Datta, Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:35 p.m.
- Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Molly Cummings, Doug Datta, Brian Furan and Aaron Kuznia. Absent was member Sharon Paulson. Also present was City of Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler.
- Approval of Minutes
Aaron Kuznia moved and Brian Furan seconded a motion to approve the minutes from the April 20 meeting. On the vote, the minutes were approved 4 - 0.
- Interlachen Park Improvements
Steve Stadler provided an update on the project. Brian Furan obtained a $30,500 proposal from G.M. Northrup Corp. for installing a sloped metal roof on the warming house and constructing a 20' X 20' picnic shelter structure adjacent to the southeast side of the warming house. Stadler will also obtain a proposal from Rutledge Construction for construction of the picnic shelter. Rutledge's warming house roofing proposal cost ($15,511) is $4,400 greater than G.M. Northrup's proposal ($11,092). It was reported that Stadler, Molly Cummings and Aaron Kuznia met on May 12 with several Interlachen Park neighborhood members to select the preferred play equipment proposal/manufacturer from the three proposals. The group selected the GameTime equipment proposal by Minnesota/Wisconsin Playground. A project update notice will be put in the upcoming Interlachen Log publication. The park improvement plans will be finalized at the June 15 Park Board Meeting.
- 2010 - 2014 Capital Improvement Plan
Park Board members reviewed the upcoming park improvement projects and the Park Capital Improvement Fund (301) working capital projections. No changes were proposed.
Aaron Kuznia moved and Molly Cummings seconded a motion for approval of the 2010-2014 Park Capital Improvement Plan. On the vote the motion carried 4-0.
- Park Memorial Bench and Tree Program
Stadler provided the proposed June Hopkins Highlights article announcing the new program. Within the next couple weeks the city web site will also be updated to include the program information. There was discussion regarding the high local cost of small granite monument pieces, a tree list and whether or not donators qualified for a tax deduction. It was suggested to look into a St Cloud area supplier for granite.
- Miscellaneous Updates
- Tennis Court rehab: The color coatings should be done soon as temperatures stay above 50 degrees.
- Rotary Trailside Improvement Project (Rotary Oasis): Work on this project should start again soon. It is anticipated that much of the work would be completed this year.
- Blake Road/Cottageville Park planning: The Blake Road corridor small area plan is scheduled to be approved by City Council at their May 19 meeting.
- Southwest Transitway Project: Work continues through the TAC and PAC towards the selection of a locally preferred alternative route from the four possible LRT routes.
- Interlachen Park Mosquito Spraying Incident: A written notice of violation was sent to Renee DeLozier, Interlachen Park Association representative for improper spraying of mosquito control agent on July 4, 2008. Stadler provided a copy of the NOV letter. The MDA has now closed this case.
- Zion Lutheran Church parking lot lease agreement: No update.
- New annual Hopkins healthy living annual community event, "Hopkins-in-Motion" to be held on September 12, 2009. No update.
- Nine Mile Creek Streambank and Habitat enhancement project and Nine Mile Creek regional trail project. Work is to start on the upper reach of the project (Excelsior Blvd to 9th Avenue crossing) this fall. Due to regulatory issues with the MPCA and Army Corps of Engineers it is unclear when work will begin on the lower section through Valley Park. Stadler will get a schedule update from Kevin Bigalke, NMCWD Administrator.
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Sharon Paulson: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park - absent.
- Aaron Kuznia: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach - Nothing to report.
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park - all good, nothing to report.
- Molly Cummings: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park - all good, nothing to report.
- Doug Datta: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks - Nothing to report.
- Next Scheduled Meetings
The next regular Park Board Meeting is June 15, 2009.
Aaron Kuznia moved and Brian Furan seconded a motion to adjourn. The motion carried on a 4 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 7:43 p.m.