Park Board Minutes
April 20, 2009
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on April 20, 2009.
- Call to Order
Doug Datta, Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:35 p.m.
- Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Molly Cummings, Doug Datta, Sharon Paulson, Brian Furan and Aaron Kuznia. Also present was City of Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler.
- Approval of Minutes for March 9, 2009 and April 13, 2009
Sharon Paulson moved and Brian Furan seconded a motion to approve the minutes from both meetings. On the vote, the minutes were approved 5 - 0.
- Interlachen Park Improvement Planning
Steve Stadler presented the proposed park improvement plan to the Board and the nine neighborhood residents who were in attendance. The scope of the proposed improvements included: new play equipment, a new picnic shelter and concrete floor, enhancements to the existing warming house (clean/paint, new standing-seam metal roofing and new electrical service and outside lighting), new outdoor skate lighting, new asphalt path and turf improvements. The plan included completing most of the work in 2009 with a mix of City work, construction contract work and neighborhood volunteer work - the estimated total cost: $90,000. Questions and comments from the neighborhood residents included:
After some discussion it was agreed that Staff and Board Member Brian Furan would check into the feasibility of modifying the existing warming house to include a picnic shelter addition. Also, a neighborhood contact was given to assist in getting a group of Neighborhood Association members together to review play equipment options and select the new play equipment. It was agreed that the Park Board would consider the picnic shelter/warming house options at the next regular meeting on May 18.
- A good overall improvement plan
- Comments on the location of the portable toilet & enclosure being too close to the warming house
- A question was raised regarding the ability to plan more extensive improvements with a phased multi-year approach.
- Residents preferred that the play equipment colors be subdued, earth tone colors.
- Concern that the new picnic shelter adds another park structure that will block views from adjacent homeowners' backyards.
- A request to check the adequacy of the hockey rink outdoor light fixtures to perhaps improve lighting on the hockey rink.
- A request to add windows to the warming house, if at all possible.
- A request to check out the possibility of modifying the existing warming house to provide for an open-air picnic shelter area.
Sharon Paulson excused herself from the meeting at 7:45 pm, following the conclusion of the Interlachen Park improvements discussion.
- Blake Road Small Area Plan Draft
Stadler handed out a copy of the draft plan to each Park Board member. Stadler and Park Board members briefly reviewed and discussed the plan. There were no initial objections voiced to the plan - members would continue to look it over and contact Stadler with any questions or concerns.
- 2010 - 2014 Capital Improvement Plan
Park Board members reviewed the upcoming park improvement projects and the Park Capital Improvement Fund (301) working capital projections. It was noted that, given the planned improvement projects, unless additional revenue comes into the fund it will be depleted in 2013. Park Board members had no suggested changes or additions to the plan at this time.
- Park Buy-a-Bench or Tree Program
Stadler stated that the program status hasn't changed since discussed at the March 9 Park Board meeting and the March 17 joint meeting with City Council. There is a planned presentation of the program at the May 19 City Council Meeting.
- Miscellaneous Updates
- Tennis Court rehab: The color coatings should be done within the next few weeks as temperatures stay above 50 degrees.
- Rotary Trailside Improvement Project (Rotary Oasis): This project is waiting for the Rotary Club to complete fund raising and continue planning. It is anticipated that much of the work would be completed this year.
- Blake Road/Cottageville Park planning: The draft small area plan was reviewed and discussed earlier in the meeting. Stadler mentioned that grant funds had been approved for sidewalk construction to be completed on certain segments of the corridor this summer.
- Central Park Field #4 Improvements: no update - Park Board recommended dropping this item.
- Park Valley Playground Naming: no update - Park Board recommended dropping this item until more information becomes available from interested neighborhood resident/s.
- Southwest Transitway Project: Stadler reported that the TAC and PAC are currently working towards the selection of a locally preferred alternative route from the four possible LRT routes.
- Interlachen Park Mosquito Spraying Incident: Stadler reported that the MDA still considers this an open investigation - no other update at this time.
- Zion Lutheran Church parking lot lease agreement: Stadler reported that he has not met with Pastor Neal yet to discuss this agreement.
- New annual Hopkins healthy living annual community event, "Hopkins-in-Motion" to be held on September 12, 2009. No update - Stadler will inform Board members when another organizing meeting is scheduled.
Aaron Kuznia asked about the 9 Mile Creek improvement project. Stadler stated that the plan is still to begin creek side erosion control work this fall with the new regional trail construction next year. This item will be added to the miscellaneous updates list.
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Sharon Paulson: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park - absent.
- Aaron Kuznia: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach - Nothing to report.
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park - reports that he has heard from a friend that lives nearby that there are daily drug deals occurring at the park pavilion. He mentioned that this same person has a suggestion regarding improved use of park space - he will contact the City.
- Molly Cummings: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park - Digger play equipment piece is broken and there is graffiti on the park bench.
- Doug Datta: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks - Nothing to report.
- Next Scheduled Meeting
The next regular Park Board Meeting is May 18, 2009.
Molly Cummings moved and Brian Furan seconded a motion to adjourn. The motion carried on a 4 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 9:05 pm.