Park Board Minutes
March 9, 2009
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on March 9, 2009.
- Call to Order
Doug Datta, Chairperson called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
- Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Sharon Paulson, Molly Cummings, Doug Datta and Aaron Kuznia. Brian Furan was absent. Also present was City of Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler.
- Approval of Minutes
Sharon Paulson moved and Molly Cummings seconded a motion to approve the minutes for the February 24, 2009 meeting. On the vote, the minutes were approved 4-0.
- Interlachen Park Improvement Planning
The Park Board discussed various communications with neighborhood residents since the February 24 meeting and a March 7, 2009 memo from Stadler on Interlachen Park improvement options and costs. The Park Board preferred to not relocate the existing game court, to retain the existing swing & slide, to consider moving the proposed picnic shelter location to just north of the play equipment area and to use treated timbers for play area edging. Neighborhood residents will be notified of the April 20 meeting which will include a presentation of the proposed final improvement plan.
- Joint Meeting with City Council - March 24
After a short discussion, the Board agreed that discussion topics should include: Interlachen Park improvements, memorial bench & tree program and the funding status of the city-side park improvement plan.
- Park Buy-a-Bench or Tree Program
After a brief discussion, the Board agreed to proceed with the program as laid out in Stadler's February 20, 2009 memo. Marketing in April/May with a program start date of June 15.
- Miscellaneous Updates
- Tennis Court rehab
Work waiting on warmer weather, should be done in early May.
- Rotary Trailside Improvement Project
Work should resume in May.
- Blake Road/Cottageville Park planning
Small area plan to be presented at the 4/20/09 Park Board Meeting.
- Central Park Ball Field #4 Improvements
No update at this time.
- Park Valley Playground naming & neighborhood requests
No update at this time.
- SW Transitway Update
DEIS is underway, scoping report completed, process to select locally preferred alternative is underway.
- Interlachen Park Mosquito Spraying Incident
MDA still classifies this as an open investigation.
- Nine Mile Creek Bank Stabilization/Habitat Enhancement + Three Rivers Park District regional trail projects
- New annual Hopkins active living community-wide event
The event is scheduled for Saturday, Sept 12. The event name is "Hopkins in Motion". Event planning participants include: HBCA, Three Rivers Park District, City staff, Park Board, Farmers' Market and others. The event is focused on active living, celebrating the trail system, and a vibrant, walkable Hopkins downtown. More organizing meetings are planned and Stadler will keep members informed as they are scheduled.
- Zion Lutheran Church parking lot lease agreement
Stadler reported that it's looking doubtful that the City will construct 20 new parking stalls along the north side of 2nd Street North adjacent to Burnes Park this year during road reconstruction. Several nearby neighborhood residents are expressing opposition to the new parking area. This could make negotiations with Zion Lutheran Church reps to lower their proposed payments more difficult as we'll not be able to make the case that the city need (park user demand) for Zion's parking lot will decrease.
- Minnehaha Oakes Association report
Stadler handed out a February 16 letter from the Association stating that they have been dissolved and that a check for $2,526.21 was provided to the City for use in preserving/renewing the one-acre forest.
- Park Area Assignment Report
- Sharon Paulson: Hilltop, Buffer, Burnes Park - Nothing to report.
- Aaron Kuznia: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park, Shady Oak Beach - Nothing to report.
- Brian Furan: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park - absent.
- Molly Cummings: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park - Electric fry pan with cord is ready for pickup.
- Doug Datta: Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks - Nothing to report.
- Next Scheduled Meetings
The next regular Park Board Meeting is April 20, 2009.
Note: It was decided that a special meeting of the Park Board on April 13 would be beneficial to discuss the proposed final Interlachen Park improvement plans prior to the April 20 presentation to the neighborhood.
Aaron Kuznia moved and Sharon Paulson seconded a motion to adjourn. The motion carried on a 4 - 0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.