Park Board Minutes
January 8, 2007
A regular meeting of the Hopkins Park Board was held on January 8, 2007.
- Call To Order
The meeting was called to order by Park Board Chairperson Dick Niemann at 6:36 p.m.
- Roll Call
Present were Park Board members: Kari Kyllo, Kate Reilly and Richard Niemann (Ron Helgeson informed Steve Stadler via email that he would miss the January 8 meeting). Also present was Hopkins staff liaison Steve Stadler.
- Approval of Minutes
K. Kyllo moved and Kate Reilly seconded a motion to approve the minutes for the November 20, 2006 meeting. On the vote, the minutes were approved 3-0.
- Park Board Mission
Steve Stadler provided the Board with the proposed Park Board Strategic Plan, including proposed objectives and action steps. After much discussion, the Board requested the following revisions to the Strategic Plan:
- Add a goal #5 and objectives: Develop and promote recreational programs (Jt-Rec Board and non Jt-Rec Board programs)
- Add an action step under goal #1 to catalog open spaces - wetland, upland, dominant tree species, wildlife, etc.
- Add an objective under goal #1 to revise the park dedication fee formula to provide some incentive for developers to build more densely and thus create/maintain natural areas.
- Add an action step under goal #4 for periodic "park spotlight" articles in the Hopkins Highlights as well as providing information to the public on the Park Board strategic plan.
- Neighborhood and City Park Improvement Planning
Steve Stadler provided a memo with park classification information including 1990 park category descriptions, 1999 Hopkins Comprehensive Plan (Parks, Open Spaces and Trails section), Park amenity matrix, and two options for neighborhood park minimum standards for amenities. The memo also included some proposed park system resident survey questions and optional methods to survey residents for feedback on their neighborhood parks. Following discussion by the members, the following action was taken: Staff should clarify the classification system to reflect the actual number of residents within 1/2 mile radius of each neighborhood park. Staff should continue with the "Chart 2" classifications and standards (see attached). Kate Reilly moved these staff actions be done, seconded by Kari Kyllo and the motion carried with a 3 - 0 vote.
Other related items: The Board asked for the specifics of the School District's play area policy. The Board asked staff to draft a sample letter to residents regarding the Strategic Plan, neighborhood park standards and seeking general feedback on their neighborhood park.
- Park Area Assignments Report: No report at this meeting.
Park assignments are:
- Kate Reilly: Maetzold Field, Interlachen Park and Shady Oak Beach.
- Kari Kyllo: Hilltop, Buffer and Burnes Parks
- Ron Helgeson: Valley Park, Central Park, Oakes Park
- Richard Niemann: Cottageville Park, Harley Hopkins Park, Elmo Park
- Doug Datta (new member): Park Valley Playground, Shady Oak Nature Area, Downtown Park, Hiawatha Oaks natural area
- Next Scheduled Meeting
- March 19, 2007, 6:30 pm
City Council Chambers
Kari Kyllo moved and Kate Reilly seconded a motion to adjourn. The motion carried on a 3-0 vote. The meeting adjourned at 9:30 p.m.